Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2022

W is for Winery, Weekend Getaway, Whale Watching

Well, this was another one that was pretty easy to fill, thank goodness. I had to use going to a winery as an idea since we go to the Mountain Winery so often. I haven’t counted but I know we’ve been to at least 40 or 50 shows there over the years. When they started the Loyalty program where you get first access to tickets the next season by attending 4 shows a year, we’ve done that. Gotta love first access. That’s how we can get the up close and personal seats, which sometimes leads to interactions with the band! That is me with Josh Steely of Daughtry. Bill has had a fist bump with Neil Giraldo and we all remember when Kelly Hansen of Foreigner climbed over the seats right next to me!

In addition to the great music though, the scenery around the venue is spectacular. On a clear night you can see so far and once the sun goes down and the lights go on, there is definitely magic. The trees around the concert bowl have lights that make them look like they are on fire. The season starts soon and we already have our four shows scheduled. In fact, we have five as our daughter and I are going to see the Abba tribute band. We will also see a Queen tribute, The Temptations and Four Tops, Pat Benatar and Rick Springfield with Men At Work.

Weekend Getaway is something that we are able to do now a little more than we could when the kids were little. And, in our case weekend doesn’t even really need to be a Saturday/Sunday type thing. Since hubby is retired and I work from home, any day can be a weekend. This makes it easier for us to take advantage of lower prices that you can sometimes get during the week. I talked about our trip to Las Vegas and the times we’ve gone to Reno. We also took a quick trip to Oregon to see Bill’s mom. For the first time we got to go into the United Club! That was a fun experience. Of course you don’t have to fly places to get away. Our trips to Boulder Creek for the golf tournament every September was a nice getaway too.

And finally there is whale watching. Living as close to the ocean as we do, there are a few times that whales have been near enough for us to see if we went to look. We didn’t so I have no pictures.

X, Y and Z are all that remain. We are going to a wedding on Saturday so I may or may not get the last one up before we go. If not, it will be there on Sunday. I’ve come this far, I have to finish!



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2022/04/27/w-is-for-winery-weekend-getaway-whale-watching/

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Happy W-Day, dear friend! Yessum, you and Bill have had quite a few "brushes with greatness," as David Letterman used to say, on occasions when the two of you attended shows of the Summer Concert Series at one of your favorite venues, the Mountain Winery. I was surprised to read that you didn't enjoy the Pat Benatar show that year when she and Neil appeared with Melissa Etheridge and the picture taking police were out in force and practically wrestled you to the ground for violating the rules. At least Bill had that memorable fist bump moment with Neil. It must have been a thrill for you to have a close encounter with Kelly Hansen's butt the time Foreigner's lead zinger came out into the audience to perform, stood next to you and climbed over your chair. You collected some great pictures of your visits to the Winery. Yessum, I can imagine how magical the grounds become when the sun goes down and the lights come on. I'm excited for you to review the ABBA tribute act and the Aussie concert featuring Rick Springfield ("GH's Dr. Noah Drake") and rock band Men At Work. Coincidentally, just this morning I was just working on a post that contains Men At Work.

    Yessum, it is nice that you can head out for a weekend getaway any old day of the week. I enjoyed looking at pics taken on your trips to Vegas and Reno. Flying is convenient, but I miss looking at the scenery from ground level along the way. That's why I have concluded that train travel is the best option if you can afford it. You don't need to worry about taking your eyes off the road as you would behind the wheel of a car.

    I would love to go whale watching. The closest i came to that experience was seeing manatees surfacing close to the boat that was transporting us to a restaurant on an island around Punta Gorda. The 15 minute boat trip is the only way to access the secluded eatery!

    AOK, if I don't see your "Z" post on Saturday, I'll look for it Sunday. Perhaps w/o realizing it, you added "Wedding Date" to your "W" post. :)

    Have a lovely day, dear friend Janet, and I'll see you tomorrow on X-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there buddy! We are looking forward to the Men at Work concert. We've seen Rick Springfield before but Men at Work reminds us of a road trip we took to Reno one year and had that cassette (yes, the olden days) on rewind the whole way. I'll look forward to your Men at Work offering. Thanks for popping over to check out the links too! It's nice to know they work, as I am sure you would tell me if they didn't.

    That sounds like a pretty exclusive restaurant! How fun to take a boat trip to get there. I think tomorrow is my least favorite letter of the alphabet this year. Thanks for hanging with me my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was not what I was expecting for winery. Hubby's version of that would be wine tasting which he has done but not me. Weekends away (or mid week breaks as we too are retired) are something we need to get back into the swing of now that the worst of this pandemic seems to be over. No whales near us although there have been instances where whales have ended up coming up the river Thames and then getting stranded. Some rescue attempts have been more successful than others. Yes you have to finish - the end is in sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither of us are big wine drinkers actually. I do like a blush or pinkish wine like a white zinfandel but not enough to go tasting. We haven't seen a whale in person yet either.

      Delete
  4. My husband retires this fall and we both look forward to having "weekend getaways" in the middle of the week when places aren't quite as crowded as they are on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so much easier. Sometimes cheaper too depending on what you are doing.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!