Search This Blog

Thursday, April 14, 2022

L is for Lake, Lunch, Light Show

I mentioned dinner, but lunch is also a good time for a date. When I was doing research for the A to Z of San Francisco last year, my husband did me the favor of driving to a few of the locations so that I could hop out and take pictures without worrying about trying to find parking. As a reward, I treated him to lunch at a little place he found that makes great burgers, among other things. It is aptly named Bill’s Place and has seen some pretty famous customers through the years. We haven’t been back so I have a feeling a lunch date is in order soon.

There used to be a light show called Laserium at the Morrison Planetarium in San Francisco. Sadly, the show closed in 2000. I may or may not have been under the influence when I saw it in my youth. Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon was the show I saw most often. When we saw ELO a couple of years ago, their light show definitely reminded me of the laserium. Here are a couple of quick clips.

Honestly, I’m not sure if there are any light shows in other places but fortunately, since I have a Mac, I can replicate the essence of them with my iTunes (Music) visualizer. I do this often when I am working in the studio.

I have no idea how I missed this Lake when I was wandering through the City last year. Stow Lake is in the middle of Golden Gate Park and it looks like so much fun! When the weather gets warmer we are definitely heading there. I think we could manage the paddle boats. There is even a ghost story surrounding it. How cool is that?

Have you ever been to a laserium show? Seen ELO in concert? Been to a lake with a ghost? Lemme know!



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2022/04/14/l-is-for-lake-lunch-light-show/

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    It's quite an honor that your hubby has a famous SF eatery named after him. :) I see that celebrities Chris Isaac, Robin Wms. and Sharon Stone all had good things to say about Bill's Place - Home of the Hamburger.

    I clicked over to the old news feature on the Laserium at Morrison Planetatium and enjoyed the dazzling laser light show effects created by that control panel which grew increasingly sophisticated over the years. The guy who operated the board was quite an artist. I'm sorry the show is no longer offered. I enjoyed the clips of the spectacular displays that you captured during your visits.

    Yessum, it is a wonder you didn't show us Stow Lake in last year's A to Z tour of San Francisco. However it works well as a date idea for this year's series. It's a lovely spot. I'd love to explore the lake in one of those boats. That legend about the lake being haunted is spooky. It's a little vague to say that the incident allegedly took place in the "1900s," because that could be as long ago as 1900 or as recently as 1999. To think that an evil spirit lured a mother into accidentally drowning her baby, and that the distraught mother jumped in and drowned herself in grief gives me the creeps. Do you know of anyone who encountered a woman dressed in white asking visitors if they've seen her baby? I wouldn't want to spend the night in a sleeping bag at the foot of that Pioneer Mother statue. :)

    Thanks for another very entertaining A to Z installment, dear friend Janet. I'll be back tomorrow to see what you've got for M-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there my friend. I'm pretty sure it wasn't 1999 where the incident happened in the lake because I think I would have remembered it. I guess I should be happy I didn't use it last year because then I'd have struggled this year - LOL.

      The light show was really amazing to me because at the time I saw it (mid-70's), computer generated graphics and the like weren't so widely prevalent. Now I'm sorry we didn't go more often.

      Definitely think we'll go back to Bill's place. Maybe after a trip around the lake! Thanks for being so faithful dear Shady!

      Delete
  2. Never been to a laserium but we have been to a light installation show. We also do lunch from time to time and we love walking round our local lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you've got the Ls under control!

      Delete
  3. That light show is pretty cool. I would like to see ELO one day as I love that band. Hubby and I love learning new things by either reading or watching. Good documentary. That is a pretty cool place to have lunch especially with all the famous people who have been there. Hubby and I like going for lunch to some nice places including a good old eats place. Those places often have the best food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! No one said it had to be fancy. ELO puts on such a great show and the songs are exactly like you hear on the radio, something I really appreciate.

      Delete
  4. The year after we moved to Arizona, the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix featured what they called "The Electric Desert". It was amazing with beautiful light displays on the desert plants and a light show playing across a hillside of saguaro cactus. It was romantic, strolling hand-in-hand, through such a magical scene.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!