Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2022

O is for Outdoors, Opera, Operations

In case you are just joining, my theme this year for the A to Z is all about date ideas. Since my husband and I have been married for almost 38 years, we have been on a few dates and I am a firm believer that you need to continue dating even after marriage, maybe ESPECIALLY after marriage. I’m wandering through the alphabet sharing some of our past dates and getting ideas for new ones.

Being in the outdoors is a good way to connect with a date. One of our first dates included this stop by the side of the road. My hubby was into photography at the time and asked me to let him take some pictures of me. This is what happened.

Yes, at the time I was a smoker. Benson and Hedges Menthol Lights, long. Sometimes I wish I could go back to that version of me. I had hair but no boobs. Those didn’t come until after I had kids. Still, it was a fun time. I loved that suede jacket too. With my curly hair some said I looked a little like Barbra Streisand. Ahhh the memories of youth.

Concerts and musicals are okay but opera is really not my thing even though it might be a good date idea for someone else. We did go to a Grand Ole Opry performance that was quite fun. Oddly enough, we were there for the birthday of his ex-wife! Even though they weren’t together anymore she remained in the circle of friends for a while.

And last but not least for the letter “O” is operations. When you have a spouse with issues, sometimes being with him in the hospital is as close to a date as you get. I can tell you I have spent at least one anniversary and one birthday sitting by his bedside.

When you say your wedding vows they usually include for better or worse, richer or poorer, in sickness and in health. I can tell you we’ve gone through all of those things in the last 37 years!

Okay, we are into the third week of the A to Z. Still with me?



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2022/04/18/o-is-for-outdoors-opera-operations/

12 comments:

  1. How fun seeing the "early" photos of your relationship Janet. I hope you have lots more dates, in all your alphabet categories, except the "operations" one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet!

    Happy Monday and O-Day, dear friend! We're whizzing through the alphabet together, aren't we?

    Wow, Janet! I can see why your guy was smitten by you right from the start. You look like a professional model in these pictures - "wild and free." I'm convinced that you look like Marisa Tomei's prettier sister:

    https://www.vintag.es/2020/12/marisa-tomei.html

    Was that a barb wire fence you were grabbing? If so, you made quite a sacrifice for the sake of art. :) I'm surprised to learn that you were a smoker in those early years. I was, too, for many years, and finally quit cold turkey in 1992. In June, it will be 30 years since I've had a cigarette, an alcoholic drink or a drug, because I quit all three of those habits that same day in June of 1992.

    A night at the opera is not something that would appeal to me either. I know that Mrs Shady would love it, but I would be fidgeting in my seat, I'm sure. :) Again, that's a beautiful picture of you in that set.

    I'm sorry your hubby has had more than his share of medical issues over the years. You are a fine, devoted wife for seeing him through those tough times, remaining at his hospital bedside, doing your best to spread cheer while he was laid-up on your anniversary and his or your birthday. Gratitude is written all over his face.

    Thanks for a very interesting and revealing O-post. FYI - I published a new post this morning, a birthday tribute to a much loved Shady Dell VIP. I hope you can pop in and have a look and a listen. Have wonderful week and I'll see you tomorrow, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Marisa Tomei's sister! Thanks for that. I quit smoking right before I had jaw surgery in 1985. I was afraid I'd have a coughing attack and not be able to handle it with my mouth wired shut. I do still have the occasional drink when we go out but was never a heavy consistent drinker anyway. It takes a lot of willpower to quit all three at once. I commend you.

      Hopefully hubby is done with the major surgeries. We do still have to visit the doctors but a couple of those events required a week's stay in the hospital. He tells me I saved his life by getting him to the right doctors.

      We were visiting each other at the same time today my friend. Thanks so much for your continued support as I go through this A to Z!

      Delete
  3. It's been fun following you across the alphabet, Janet. You look fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna. Those pictures are from quite a while ago but I appreciate that.

      Delete
  4. I love those pictures from your first date! I'm following along with A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. It seems like such a long time ago!

      Delete
  5. You've been through a lot together. Love those early pictures of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We like to do things outdoors... hikes, camping, going for walks.

    My husband and I went to The Pirates of Penzance which is considered a comic opera. I don't recall any humor though. I recall being bored to tears. Opera is not my thing. AND YET... I have a dream of attending an opera in Italy someday, just for the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it may be different in Italy but I'm with you, boring.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!