Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2022

E is for Explore, Errands, Exercise

For my A to Z this year I’m EXPLORING the different things you can do on a date. As I’ve said, next month my husband and I will be married 38 years and I don’t think that being married that long is a reason to give up on dating.

Case in point, a couple of years ago we went to Oregon to visit hubby’s mother and while we have been there many times, we usually just stay around the house. His mom is 96, doesn’t go out anymore and takes naps during the day so this time I said, “Let’s go do something different while we’re here,” We found the Lava Butte in the Deschutes National Forest. It was very interesting to see the remnants of the volcano. We walked all the way up to the top where there is a fire lookout. The weather was gorgeous and the view spectacular. Even if you are familiar with an area, it is fun to go exploring new things.

Exercise is another thing that you can do together, even if it something as simple as taking a walk around the block. I will admit that exercise is not something that I enjoy doing but taking a walk around the block isn’t bad. This was before we had our dog, Benny. As you can see above, the path around the cinder cone and the ramp we had to climb to get to the lookout at the top of the Butte got us some exercise as well!

And lastly there are errands. You may not think that’s a fun date but I’ll tell you it certainly is nice to have his company when I go to the grocery store or Costco. Most of the time it is more expensive because he always seems to find things to add to the cart but it’s still nice that he’s there. We’ve had some pretty deep discussions as we go from place to place. Just the other day we went looking for material to put a fence around the front yard so we can let Benny go outside and play without worrying he’ll run into the street.

So what do you think, am I covering some good date ideas? Can I make it through the rest of the alphabet? Would you consider running errands a date?



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2022/04/06/e-is-for-explore-errands-exercise/

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Happy E-Day to you, dear friend! It immediately occurred to me that you and your hubby were blessed to have mothers who lived long lives. My mother died at the too young age of 76.

    Thanks for taking me exploring with you today! I'm a little winded after trekking up to Lava Butte in Oregon's Deschutes National Forest, but it was well worth the effort. That crater left by the volcano is an awesome sight. It was interesting to read the sign and learn about the fire lookout and how it has evolved over the years. I can imagine how easy it is from that high elevation to spot smoke rising from a point miles away. That little critter seems to be helping keep an eye on things, including the volcano should it decide to become active again.

    Yessum, you and Bill certainly got some exercise that day following the trail around the cone and up the slope to the lookout. I suspect my buddy Benny is thankful that you don't mind taking walks with him. If he's anything like my Toto was, he wishes those walks would last forever. "So many things to sniff... so little time."

    Yessum, I certainly do consider running errands a type of date. Anything a couple does that both parties enjoy qualifies, in my opinion. Some of the best outings I've had with Mrs. Shady have been shopping trips, especially if we are looking for new home furnishings or checking out the new models at a car dealership. It's fun and exciting, gets the ideas flowing and has us planning for the future. Our dynamic is the reverse of you and your hubby. I am the frugal one while Mrs. Shady is the one who loads the cart with dozens of items that weren't on our list.

    This post and others in this series prove that, to be happy, couples don't need to go on lots of expensive "dream dates" aboard cruise ships to tropical islands. Spending time together engaged in ordinary activities can be lots of fun and foster happy relationships.

    Have a wonderful Wednesday and I'll see you tomorrow for your F-Day offering, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shady. You caught my cute critter sitting on his log. I was surprised that he let me get as close as he did. I was surprised to read how many fires they spot in a year from that vantage point.

      You are also correct that you don't need to spend too much money to have a fun date. Benny usually heads for home after he does his business but playing catch is a different story. All Day Long.

      Once again thanks for stopping by. Have a great rest of your day.

      Delete
  2. Hmm not sure grocery errands count as a date but if we were shopping for say furnishings or garden supplies that involved a coffee stop it would be more date like. Exploring is a good choice not so much the exercising lol. I'm sure you can finish the challenge Janet but not sure what you're going to come up with for the trickier letters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Wendy, thanks for stopping by. I agree that some of my ideas may be stretching the date concept, especially when I get to the trickier letter!

      Delete
  3. I love the picture of the chipmunk! What a fantastic shot.

    We love to explore. Sometimes we'll follow streets we've never been on before, just to see where it leads. Errands are more fun when we go together, and if we plan it right, we stop for lunch, too, which helps it feel more like a date. As for exercise... I'm an early morning exerciser and our schedules don't mesh at that time. But we sometimes we go hiking on his days off, and paddleboarding in the summer.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!