Search This Blog

Saturday, April 23, 2022

T is for Trivia Games, Tandem Bikes, Train Trip

You may think that trivia games are like the Quizzes I mentioned for “Q” but I think they are different. (or maybe I just couldn’t think of three “T’ activities so I’m using it – LOL). Trivial Pursuit was a game that we played sometimes back in the day. I think we may even still have a box in the closet but we haven’t played in a long time.

Tandem bikes sounds like a fun thing to do too. Last year during the A to Z when I was in Union Square I saw a bike rental place and they have tandem bikes for rent. I think that hubby and I could manage something like that, not too much strain on either of us. However, we’d have to make sure we were going on a flat path which is hard in San Francisco!

And last, but probably best, idea is a train trip. We take the train a lot from our house to the City to see the Giants play and we may start taking it to see concerts at Chase Center. It’s a bit farther to walk but doable. I’m really talking about taking a train trip down the coast of California. They have one called the Starlight that goes down the coast from Seattle to LA. It takes 35 hours but I think it would be neat to see the coast that way. The California Zephyr sounds like fun too, especially since we were married in Zephyr Cove. It goes from San Francisco to Chicago, going through Nebraska and Colorado. Even though they are long trips, being on the train would allow the hubby to stand up and stretch his legs without having to pull over and stop.

Just for fun, here’s what I can see from my front porch.

Unfortunately, although the train station is right across the street from us, we’d have to drive to a more inland station to catch one of the Amtrak trains as the end of the line for this one is San Francisco. Still, it would be worth it I think.

Okay. Tomorrow is a day of rest from my silly posts. I’m going to really do my best to visit some new folks. I’ll be back with the rest of the alphabet next week.



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2022/04/23/t-is-for-trivia-games-tandem-bikes-train-trip/

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Happy Saturday and T-Day, dear friend!

    I am fond of playing trivia games that require contestants to name popular music artists and songs. I'm pretty good at it. I remember visiting a winery estate with a date and playing that kind of trivia game. It was held outdoors on the winery grounds. A guy with a microphone asked the questions and people gathered around shouted the answers. I remember doing quite well, impressing my date. When I was in my 20s, I won a listener call-in contest on an oldies radio station. I was the first caller on the station's hotline to give rock & roller Little Richard's real name as Richard Penniman. I won a completely useless (for me) prize - a jar of mustache wax! :)

    Yessum a tandem bicycle ride sounds like fun, although Mrs. Shady and I never tried it. However, she and I enjoyed rides on standard bikes when we lived in Venice. As I mentioned before, we lived only blocks from the beach. We sometimes rode along the coast line and around a small lake that was home to alligators. The reptiles were often visible from the bike trail. Other times, we took a bike route that wound around the city itself. I imagine any bicycling would be a rigorous challenge on those notoriously steep streets of San Francisco.

    Like you, I would very much enjoy taking a scenic, long distance train trip. Mrs. S and I were looking into a trans-Canadian train adventure and other train trips across the Western states in the U.S. Those trips cost a lot of money, and we just never had the time or great enough desire to book one. You guys get a wonderful view of the train passing near your house at night!

    I enjoyed your triple T post, Janet. FYI - I published a new post this morning in case you didn't get any email notification. I wish you a safe and restful weekend, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL mustache wax! I'll bet the bike rides around the coast were spectacular. I was surprised at how much the train trips cost too. Sometimes more than plane fare but the experience is totally different of course. Since our dream of driving a motorhome around the country is kind of out of the question now, the train might be the next best thing. Definitely looking into it more when I'm ready to take some time away from my computer. Thanks for the heads up about your post. I did not get a notice. See you there!

      Delete
  2. We love playing trivial pursuit especially when we get together with extended family. My MIL always loved to play - and as she was very knowledgeable everyone always wanted to be on her team! I like the idea of a tandem bike but I'd want to be on the back and be a bit lazy ;) a train trip sounds good, more relaxing than driving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Wendy, I'd be on the back too I think. We are looking forward to taking a few train trips. I just have to do the investigating. I'm the one that usually plans these things. Have a great week.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Janet - Your posts are not silly at all. I greatly enjoy them. I used to love Trivia games but haven't played one in a while -- nor have I been on a train in quite some time. I really need to change this - thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna. Thanks for the kind words. I'm finding lots of things I forgot about as I do this A to Z.

      Delete
  4. Several years ago, we took Amtrak from Salt Lake City to Sacramento to spend Christmas with our son. It sure beat driving in the snow, especially over the mountains. We booked a "sleepette" (I think it was called) and meals were included in the price, so it was very reasonable. We loved the experience and have recently talked about doing a cross-country train trip after hubby retires this fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like fun! I definitely want to do it when we have some time.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!