Search This Blog

Thursday, April 7, 2022

F is for Fireworks, Festivals, Fishing

My husband says he felt a shock go through him when we first met. Sparks flew you might say. I didn’t really feel it at the time because I was dating his brother. Interesting story that my husband loves to tell, but I digress. Fortunately I married the right one. He promised to show me fireworks every year and so far he’s been true to his word.

Most of the time lately it has been the safe and sane ones that we can shoot off in front of our house but we have seen them at the Giants games as well. One year we went to Lake Tahoe with some friends and watched them being shot off over the lake. Wait, was that with hubby or his brother? Or was that the other guy I used to see? Oh well, whoever your with, watching fireworks is a fun date.

Festivals are great dates too. We have a big one near us every Labor Day weekend, the Millbrae Art and Wine Festival. There is something fun about wandering up and down the street with a glass of wine (or beer) in your hand. We don’t go every year but as you can see by the glasses I’ve collected we’ve been a few times. The last one was in 2019, just before the pandemic hit. They didn’t do it of course in 2020 but I think by last year they were running again. We didn’t go.

Our own city, San Bruno, used to have street festivals but they were never as big as the Millbrae ones. Bayhill is a shopping center and they had a champagne festival one year. Fun fact, Bayhill is right by the YouTube headquarters.

And just because I’m trying to keep with 3 ideas for each post, Fishing is another idea for a date. I know my husband likes to fish but I’m not big on camping (you notice I didn’t include that on my C day) so we really haven’t gone fishing much. I can think of two times though. Once was on a camping trip shortly after we got married but before we had kids and the other was on a boat with the company he was working for.

I can’t remember whether he caught a fish or not but he got a certificate for being there! That’s me in the background with the Pittsburgh Pirate’s hat on. Maybe I don’t like fishing because I am a Pisces and it’s like I’m capturing a relative? Nah, can’t be that because I love to eat fish!

Okay, that’s about it for F. Not bad for kind of doing it on the fly, huh?



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2022/04/07/f-is-for-fireworks-festivals-fishing/

10 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Happy F-Day, dear friend!

    I see that one of your F topics is fishing. You must be quite a "catch" for both your hubby and his brother to have been dating you! :) Then there's that other mystery man. :) I think that red sports car you used to drive made you seem like a Mustang Sally to the guys, or like Christie Brinkley in National Lampoon's Vacation. :)

    You guys managed to take some excellent, clear pictures of fireworks displays you attended on dates over the years. I enjoy professional fireworks shows, but get tired of every Tom, Dick & Harry in the neighborhood deciding to set them off in his back yard, especially very late at night when I'm trying to sleep. The noise also alarms people's pets. A few years, Mrs. Shady and I lived in a 4th floor condo in Venice, FL. On the 4th of July and New Year's Eve, we could go out our front door and stand on the balcony and see two or three different fireworks displays at once. We could also walk out on our screened porch on the opposite side of the unit and watch several others. One night, I counted a total of eight different fireworks displays that were visible from our condo! The fireworks show finale captured in that video was spectacular, and I could hear the boomer oldie "California Sun" by The Rivieras playing as the crowd cheered.

    I also love festivals. When we lived in Venice, we attended the annual shark tooth festival. Venice is known as the shark tooth capital of the world. We also went to art festivals in the downtown district and thoroughly enjoyed them.

    I'm like you, dear friend. I love to dine on fish, but going fishing doesn't interest me at all. However, as you can imagine, the Gulf Coast of Florida, where we live, is famous as a fisherman's paradise.

    Yessum, you whipped together a very entertaining F-day post and I enjoyed it. I wanted to let you know that I have a new post running this week at Shady's Place. I don't think people are getting their email notifications about it, because hardly anyone has come by so far. I just wanted to let you know in case you can visit in the next few days. The post runs through Monday so there's plenty of time. Enjoy the rest of your day and I'll be back for G-Day tomorrow, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up about your post, Shady. It is interesting that I was not getting an email and then I was getting an email. I did bookmark Shady's Place one of my favorites so I'll go back to using that to check on you.

      I would say you were right about the car except I met my husband's brother in a bar (should have been my first red flag) so he didn't know what kind of car I had.

      I know what you mean about fireworks and pets. Benny was quite affected last year.

      Thanks again for the heads up about your post my friend. I'll make sure to go visit!

      Delete
  2. I love fireworks but my husband can take them or leave them. I actually feel like a kid when there are fireworks to see - I ooooo and ahhhh a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like a firework display - as long as it's properly organised and safe. We used to live near an open site that was used for a display every year but then a couple of years of really bad weather and then the pandemic stopped it. Maybe this year it will happen again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think it is fun to watch the big sky displays. They can do so many things with them.

      Delete
  4. Oooooo... fireworks!! I love big firework shows! We don't get to festivals much, and although my husband says he loves to fish, and he has all the gear, he never goes. Maybe when he retires?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read your last 3 posts and it’s so nice to read how much you both do together. I know so many that a4e the exact opposite. I love dancing and wish I could go. I love to explore interesting places and something new. Who doesn’t have errands and the biggie are grocery shopp8ng which I normally do myself. Actually, due to covid it is my exploring too...lol. I love going to a festivals but not fishing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Birgit I know what you mean about grocery shopping. Most times I'd rather do it myself! Less chance of unwanted items making their way in the cart.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!