Search This Blog

Thursday, April 21, 2022

R is for Road Trip, Rollerskating, Roof Top

Road trips are fun to go on occasionally. For longer ones, like to Reno, I do the driving so hubby can stretch his back but for short hops he drives. That allows me to take pictures of the interesting things we see as we go along, like the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile, which is huge, the castle hidden behind some trees, the snow on the mountains and our old friend the Golden Gate Bridge on our return home. We even saw Elvis in his pink Cadillac once. Of course sometimes we have to stop and take a break before we continue.

While I never went for ice skating, rollerskating is something I really liked to do. I even got myself a pair of skates. The old fashioned kind with four wheels, not rollerblades where they are all in a line like ice skates. Bill was a pretty good skater in his time too. We both enjoyed skating around the rink to the great music. I am not sure it would be such a good idea to do that now, even though my recent bone density scan shows that I have good bones. No sense asking for trouble, right?

And my final suggestion for a date is to go to a rooftop and check out the view. No pictures for that but I know that there are a lot of rooftop restaurants. In fact, there is a new one called Rooftop 25 that recently opened in San Francisco. I can remember going to the Top of the Mark when I was younger and while that wasn’t exactly outside on the rooftop, it was at the top of the Mark Hopkins hotel and the room would spin in a circle so you could see the whole city while you ate. We did have dinner on the rooftop at the Mountain Winery once but won’t do that again as we didn’t think it was worth the price.

Okay, that covers R. As I look in my draft folder I see there are less and less posts in there. We must be moving right along!



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2022/04/21/r-is-for-road-trip-rollerskating-roof-top/

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Happy R-Day, dear friend!

    How would you like to be the proud owner of that Oscar Meyer Weinermobile and use it for your everyday transportation needs? :) When I was a boy living in York County, PA, one of the most famous tourist attractions, one that drew shutterbugs from allk over and had people pulling their vehicles off the road to gaze at it on road trips, was the "Haines Shoe House," a five story high shoe-shaped house:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haines_Shoe_House#/media/File:Shoehouse.jpg

    Built in 1948-49 by shoe salesman Mahlon Haines as a form of advertisement, the house was once available for rental by honeymooning couples. The living room is located in the toe, the kitchen in the heel and it also contains an ice cream shop. Next to the house is a shoe-shaped doghouse!

    On our road trip out West, Mrs. Shady and I were delighted by the huge windmills, the red sandstone formations of Sedona, Arizona, and the field of satellite dishes at the The Very Large Array Radio Telescope facility in New Mexico. We went inside that facility. The other night when we were watching a TV show (I can't remember which one), it showed a couple hanging a padlock on the "lover's lock" fence at the end of the GG Bridge. I immediately thought of you and how you introduced that spot to me in your SF tour A to Z Challenge.

    I was never very good at roller skating or ice skating. My ankles were too weak and I got blisters. However I enjoyed shooting a commercial inside a local rink and listening to the tunes play on the sound system as my camera captured the action. I had an equally fun experience filming a commercial inside a local disco.

    Mrs. S and I love rooftop dining! On our trip to Mexico, we dined at three different rooftop restaurants. The scenes below give you an idea of the view from one of those eateries in San Miguel de Allende:

    https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x842b51b02237ce71%3A0xa3b7c731d609c5bd!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOqVT_vX2-Iz6_sCGJOR7WMSOgUZs-JG6L1y4hh%3Dw260-h175-n-k-no!5srooftop%20restaurants%20in%20san%20miguel%20de%20allende%2C%20mexico%20-%20Google%20Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipOkecdJAZ9uO9XPim3mXHXDRPkP_hk4FawwZ3c6&hl=en

    Yessum, we're moving right along, and I'm enjoying this year's ride. Have a great day, dear friend Janet. I'll see you tomorrow on S-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that rooftop scene is magnificent. I love the extras you share when my posts remind you of something in your life. Thanks so much. I always found the music in the roller skating rinks to be such fun. Did a "little old woman" ever live in that shoe? LOL. Have a great rest of your day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all for a road trip and roof top dining sounds fun - might need to check out any local possibilities. Roller skating days are long gone lol. Plus hubby would be much better than me - he played roller skate hockey at uni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great to be able to catch the view from what seems like being on top of the world.

      Delete
  4. I love rollerskating. When I was a kid, I had the metal clamp-on rollerskates that clamped on my shoes. Then when I was in high school I bought a pair of rink skates... white leather. I took really good care of them, only using them indoors at skating rinks, never outdoors on cement (which would ruin the wheels). I still have them in a special case in my closet. Just writing this makes me want to go roller-skating even though I haven't gone since my kids were young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I had those clip on ones when I was little too. I did have a pair of regular skates that I used for a while but I did also roll around the neighborhood...fell and then got rid of them.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!