Search This Blog

Saturday, April 1, 2023

A to Z – 2023 – A is for Archipelago

Well here we are off to another April Blogging from A to Z Challenge. In case you didn’t catch my theme post, I am blogging this year about a San Francisco experience called “Illuminate SF” which, according to the website, is “a celebration of the ability of light art to transform our most familiar spaces and an opportunity to turn the long nights of winter into an inspiring time to visit San Francisco.” This was it’s 10th year and I don’t know where I’ve been but I hadn’t heard about it before, even when I did the A to Z of SF in 2020.

Unfortunately I read about it a little too late to catch the actual yearly “Festival of Lights” which ran from November 9 to the end of January and therefore missed some of the temporary installations but fortunately there are some that have become permanent fixtures around the town so I am doing my best to capture them. Are you ready for a light show? I would caution that if you are susceptible to seizures, you may have to be careful when watching some of the videos. – LOL

“Archipelago” is our first stop. It is located in the courtyard near San Francisco General Hospital Emergency Room. It was designed by Anna Valentine Murch and opened in 2014. It is supposed to depict the “concept of a river as a metaphor for life.”

I made two trips for this one since I went too early in the evening the first time and didn’t get the full effect. The lights were just beginning to come on and I did not see the 6-foot tall sculpture. I was a little bummed so I decided to try and go again.

When I went the second time it was later in the evening and I did see the sculpture (which was right in front of me!) Also got some shots that show the planters with the lights in full mode.

An archipelago is a group of islands and I can get that sense with these planters but I’m not so sure about the “river as a metaphor of life” concept. Still it was kind of a neat area.

Perhaps I didn’t see the 6-foot tall sculpture the first time because it was right near one of the Hearts of San Francisco that I wrote about in 2020 and I was so excited to see that, I passed right by the sculpture. In fact, if you look closely at the left corner of the picture of the sculpture you can see the tip of the heart in the background.

Best Viewing: Anytime after dark in the outdoor plaza that connects the old and new buildings of Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital, 1001 Potrero Avenue, SF. You don’t have to get sick or have an emergency to see it, just find parking in the garage or anywhere across the street – LOL. Actually, the second time I went it was about 9:15 PM and the circular driveway in front of the ER was empty so I just parked there for a minute and ran to get my shots.

Okay, one done! Hope I’m not being too pedantic when I’m describing my antics around the city. (That was for Linda G. Hill’s SoCS, bonus points for using “antic” and “pedantic.”) Not sure I’ll be able to keep up with all of the SoCS’s but thought I’d throw that one in for now. Tomorrow is Sunday so you know we have a break but I’ll be back on Monday with the letter “B.” Any guesses?

Note to those reading on Blogger -- I'm going to try and get over there as quick as I can to reduce the size of the photos which seem to increase as they move from WP to Blogger. Sorry if you are seeing them before I make the switch!



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2023/04/01/a-to-z-2023-a-is-for-archipelago/

8 comments:

  1. I am not sure about the river either, but the lights and the planters seem lovely :) For some reason I also imagined they were heated, which would be nice in cold weather :D

    The Multicolored Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it would be especially nice if they were heated on cold days. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I guess one is walking in the river and the planters are the lands. It looks pretty and I like the heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good thought, Birgit. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Janet!

    The starter pistol has fired and we're off the the races, dear friend, the thrilling start of this year's long awaited, highly anticipated A to Z Challenge! Congratulations on throwing your hat in the ring!

    When you announced your theme, it aroused my curiosity. I can't wait to learn all about “Illuminate SF” - from A to Z. It does indeed seem amazing that you never heard of this event which has been taking place for a decade. From my years of working in TV production, lighting products for commercials and sets for music videos and entertainment segments, I know the magic effect of light on ordinary objects and on people for that matter.

    For your "A" post, I was expecting to see Alcatraz at night looking like a giant Christmas ornament. :) Archipelago is a wonderful alternative. The impression I am getting right away is that the magic of lighting is essentially making every night of the year like Christmas time at various locations around SF, thereby drawing people who would ordinarily see no reason to go there. It's an inspired idea. I can see that the row of planters resembles a cluster of islands. The pictures are all perfect size here on your blogger blogspot.

    I wish you a safe and happy weekend, dear friend Janet. Please give my buddy Benny big hugs and I'll be back to join you again on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Shady, thanks for stopping by on my first day! You know I don't expect a comment on all 26 days, although I appreciate any time you share your thoughts. Alcatraz at night might be a fun one too. I'll have to pay more attention when November comes around this year to get the new light shows. It just occurred to me that by putting the link to the home page in my stories, people might be able to guess what the letters will be. I'm hoping that doesn't take the fun out of it! Happy April Fools my friend.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!