Search This Blog

Thursday, April 20, 2023

A to Z – 2023 – Q is for Quotes on Anima

In the A to Z Challenge, the letter “Q” can be a difficult one but luckily I was able to find some quotes!

Anima is a cylinder of curved metal that is lit from inside to cast shadowy bits of poetry and ancient text in a halo across the plaza in front of Alexandria Real Estate Equities.

The illuminated words are in different languages and include pieces from the Human Genome Project, Dr. Leslie Taylor, Louis Pasteur, Greek physician Claudius Galen, Roman historian Pliny and a quote from Qi Bo, physician to the Chinese Emperor.

It was designed by Jim Sanborn in 2006 and is located at 1700 Owens Street in front of the Alexandria Real Estate Equities building. There is a plaque that details the quotes but I couldn’t get a good picture of it. I also couldn’t really read any of them because most were in a different language. I did manage to find the Qi Bo section, so that counts as my “Q” right?

Best Viewing: Anytime after dusk. I will say that this was very easy to get to and is in a quiet place so you can park and walk around to read it all.

“R” you ready for tomorrow?



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2023/04/20/a-to-z-2023-q-is-for-quotes-on-anima/

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Happy "Q" day, dear friend!

    What a magnificent piece of sculpture! Anima is another worthwhile stop on your Illuminate tour of SF, a truly mindboggling column created by Jim Sanborn. The images you captured are top notch, giving us an excellent view of the exhibit. I clicked over to the main article and read with great interest the credentials Sanborn brings to his projects. I even did some side reading about the Coriolis Effect aka Coriolis Force, and am struggling to fully comprehend it. The upshot is that Jim Sanborn is a gentleman and a scholar, and he's not too shabby as an artist either.

    Yessum, I "R" ready for your next post. I'll B here 4 it and C you tamale. :) In the meantime, have a happy Thursday, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly my friend sometimes I think you put more research into my posts than I do! I love the extra tidbits you share. Thanks for supporting me, dear Shady.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love this one, Janet - I think it's my favorite so far! And a definite win for the Q.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!