Search This Blog

Saturday, April 29, 2023

A to Z – 2023 – Y is for YUD

“Y” is another one of those letters that can be tricky to find something to fill in the A to Z Challenge. You can bet I was excited that there was an installation in the Illuminate SF project called YUD.

Finding said YUD was a little more difficult. It was on the list with the “Love Over Rules” exhibit and we know what trouble I had finding that one! You would think that a 60-foot cube would be easy to spot but it is actually down a tiny street called Yerba Buena Lane. It is attached to the Contemporary Jewish Museum and you can visit it during business hours with a paid admission.

It was after hours when I went so I couldn’t get inside and there were some people walking around the plaza that I was unsure about (they were yelling at each other) so I didn’t really walk too far away from my husband and our car. Still, this is pretty impressive, don’t you think? There are 36 diamond-shaped windows around the cube and it was designed by Daniel Libeskind in 2008. Inside, the space can be used for parties or other events and there was a video project done in 2017 that you can read about here.

Best Viewing: After dark stand in the museum’s entrance plaza. The address is 736 Mission Street but it is actually on Yerba Buena Lane.

One more day in our A to Z! We will have a rare Sunday post to finish it off before May starts on Monday. See you tomorrow with what I consider the grand finale!



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2023/04/29/a-to-z-2023-y-is-for-yud/

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Happy "Y" day, dear friend!

    I'm later than usual because I've been doing lots of household chores again today and lost track of time. "Y" is for "Yud" and "Y" is for Yessum" - I agree that the Yud is an impressive sight. It looks like something you'd see in Stanley Kubrick's epic 1968 sci-fi adventure film 2001: A Space Odyssey. "Balanced" upon one corner, it appears as if the huge metal cube could easily topple over in a strong wind, doesn't it? it also boggles the mind to imagine going inside, but the pictures taken from within show how deceptively spacious and functional the interior is. I'm sorry you had trouble finding this one, but glad you didn't give up, because it is a marvelous and inspiring exhibit.

    Okay, thanks for letting me know you are posting "Z" tomorrow. I might not have checked for it. I will be here, and I also have a new post of my own starting first thing in the morning. Hope you can stop over at some point. Have a wonderful Saturday, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are late, it gives me a chance to resize the pictures! Also, never late to my party. Tomorrow's is going to be a good one I think. I'll make sure to stop over at your place too.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!