Search This Blog

Monday, April 3, 2023

A to Z – 2023 – B is for Bayview Rise

Happy Monday folks. I am blogging this year about a San Francisco experience called “Illuminate SF” which is “a celebration of the ability of light art to transform our most familiar spaces and an opportunity to turn the long nights of winter into an inspiring time to visit San Francisco” according to their website. While I missed the chance to see the temporary installations that went from November 9 through the end of January, I was able to get enough of the permanent ones to fill my A to Z. Today we look at Bayview Rise.

Bayview Rise” is an illuminated mural on the grain elevator and silos near Pier 92. It is on the north entry to the Bayview District which has typically not been a great part of town. My daughter was the driver on this trip and I didn’t want to hang around the area too long.

It was designed by Laura Haddad and Tom Drugan in 2014 and is supposed to be about the “interaction of color and light with imagery about and for the community.” It is 187 feet tall and visible from the freeways and hillsides. I can see it when we take the train into San Francisco to see the Giants at Oracle Park.

According to the description on the Illuminate SF website the lights are supposed to shift causing parts of the mural to glow and other parts to remain in darkness, “making images appear to float in and out of the scene.” Honestly, I stood there for several minutes taking pictures and didn’t see any changes in the lights.

Hubby took me in to get another shot of it during the day. I like this better than the illuminated one. What do you think? Also, didn’t connect until I was writing this that “B” is for balloons too!

This was one of the least impressive, to me, of the different exhibits. I had wanted to write about the Bay Bridge lights but because they are too expensive to keep up, they were turned off. There is talk of fundraising to get them back and expand them so maybe in a few years they will again be part of Illuminate SF.

Best viewing of the Bayview Rise: Look east on Interstate 280 between Cesar Chavez and Mariposa Exits. For an up-close experience, check it out from Bayview Gateway Park between Third and Illinois on the south side of Islas Creek.

Day two done. We have a long way to go. I am going to try and visit as many new folks doing the A to Z Challenge as I can. You should too!



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2023/04/03/a-to-z-2023-b-is-for-bayview-rise/

4 comments:

  1. I like the first one better with the bright colours. It does look like the bad side of town but these sites usually no matter what city one is in. Looking forward to the rest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit. It is definitely an industrial area.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Janet!

    Happy "B" day, dear friend! I see that our friend "BB" has already visited you, adding to the string of "Bs" we have to discuss. I agree with you that Bayview Rise looks much better in the light of day. I like the balloon artwork. I suppose it could be interpreted as the sky filled with hot air balloons or a "balloon release," the kind that typically accompanies a public event like a groundbreaking, dedication or grand opening. At night, the structure looks gaudy and garish, more of an eyesore than anything else. Those are the words that immediately come to my mind, and if the animated effect isn't working, then what's the point? You bravely ventured into a sketchy part of town to capture the image, and I am thankful that you and your daughter made it in and out safely.

    Have a happy Monday, dear friend Janet. I'll be back to see you often, perhaps not all 26 days, but often in support of your A to Z run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear friend. I can see the release of balloon image as well. Hopefully the rest of the alphabet will be more interesting - LOL.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!