Search This Blog

Friday, April 7, 2023

A to Z – 2023 – F is for Federal Building, home to the SkyGarden

If you are just checking in from the A to Z Challenge, this year I am traveling through San Francisco in search of the lights that are part of Illuminate SF, a series of art fixtures located at different spots in SF. As I looked down the list of names, finding an exact match for every letter of the alphabet was not easy. I have had to get creative (not that I mind being creative) to satisfy some of the letters, one of which is the letter “F.”

The Federal Building in San Francisco is where you will find the SkyGarden. Designed by James Turrell it opened in 2007. It is a three story block of color in the middle of the building. I was going to take a video but honestly it took too long to change colors so I just got a few stills.

Apparently there is another band of light at street level which is supposed to complete the geometric figure but I couldn’t see that from where I was. I also did not go up into the building because it was after hours. A self-guided tour is available from 9 AM to 3 PM Monday through Friday if you want to visit, but since it is the Federal Building, you have to show an American ID or international passport. While it is kind of cool to see the changing lights I was a bit underwhelmed with this one.

Best Viewing: At night stand on the south side of Mission Street long enough to see the colors change.

Short post today. See you tomorrow for “G.”



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2023/04/07/a-to-z-2023-f-is-for-federal-building-home-to-the-skygarden/

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Happy "F" day, dear friend! "F" stands for "forget"... but I will never forget your unforgettable A to Z series.

    How I wish I could be there in SF at night to see the artistic use of lighting in this citywide Illuminate program. Whether viewed up close or from a distance, SkyGarden at The Federal Building is well worth a visit, in my opinion, because I love the use of color to tastefully enhance ordinary spaces. It is exciting to me that this exhibit features "a glowing block of color set into the building" with other bands and ribbons completing a huge geometric figure running up the facade from street level. To me, this is a much more pleasing sight than the glowing purple structure shown in an earlier post.

    Thank you for another illuminating A to Z entry, dear friend Janet. I'll be back to see you tomorrow on "G" day Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for adding another perspective to this, dear friend Shady. I think because it was after my enchanted experience yesterday that this is a little subdued for me.

      Delete
  2. This is pretty cool. I like the different colours used.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!