Search This Blog

Friday, April 21, 2023

A to Z – 2023 – R is for Reading the Language of the Birds

Of all the creative license I have been using to cover my A to Z Challenge letters, this one is by far the biggest stretch. The letter “R” is not actually anywhere in the description of installation or its designer’s name. However, what seem to be flying birds are actually supposed to be books and books are usually Read so…

On the corner of Columbus and Broadway in the pedestrian plaza that links Chinatown and North Beach you will find this scene of “books” positioned in such a way to look like birds in motion. The artwork on the side of the building is representative of the North Beach scene.

Language of the Birds, as it is called, was designed by Brian Goggin and Dorka Keehn in 2008. It is the first solar power-offset public artwork in California. The artists teamed with scientist David Shearer and Lawrence Ferlinghetti (owner of City Lights bookstore which is right around the corner) to provide solar power to the city’s grid to offset the energy used by the artwork. You can hear the busy street sounds in the background. This was the night my husband and I had dinner at the Stinking Rose which is just up the street.

A shorter one from just a little up the street. This one really makes it look like birds flying I think.

And now as I am writing this, I am re-Reading the description on the Illuminate SF website and it says that if you look at the ground under the flock you will see pages that look like they have fallen out of the books. Of course I was looking UP so didn’t look DOWN to see that and have no pictures. From the designer’s web:

“Passing under the flock, pedestrians notice words and phrases embedded in the plaza floor that appear to have fallen from the pages. On closer inspection the fallen words are in English, Italian and Chinese and were selected from the neighborhood’s rich literary history, ranging from the Beats, to SF Renaissance poets and Chinese writers, over 90 authors are represented including Armistead Maupin, Gary Snyder, William T. Vollman, and Jade Snow Wong.

The artists created the design of the plaza floor in Atrium of the SFMOMA. Retaining their original font, individual words from chosen phrases were cast from the third floor gallery of the museum. Words fluttered down 60 feet landing on a paper replica of the plaza thus determining their resting place in the final artwork. Influenced by practices like reading tea-leaves and Japanese gardening techniques. The words intersect in ways that allow for new unique interpretations and meanings.”

Doesn’t that sound cool?

Best Viewing: After dark stand across the street on Columbus Avenue to get the full effect and then walk over to the plaza to get a close up view. Don’t forget to look down to see the words on the ground.

I think we need to go back to the Stinking Rose for dinner so I can get a picture of the words on the sidewalk and also take a peek in City Lights bookstore, don’t you? (I wrote about City Lights in my last SF A to Z.) One more letter this week and then we have a rest day.



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2023/04/21/a-to-z-2023-r-is-for-reading-the-language-of-the-birds/

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Sorry I'm late this time, dear friend. Mrs. Shady and I have been working around the house all day and I am just now getting online. I'm certainly thankful that I didn't miss "Language of the Birds," because it might be my favorite exhibit of the entire Illuminate tour. It truly captures my imagination. I wish I were there to walk near and beneath it. The flock of 23 sculpted, illuminated books does indeed resemble a flock of startled pigeons rising upward from street level with words of historic significance falling to the plaza below. The art concept is genius, and the process by which it was created adds to the wonder of it all. Mrs. Shady and I just finished watching Tales Of The City, the 1993 TV miniseries starring Laura Linney and based upon the series of novels written by Armistead Maupin. I'll tell you, if we could afford to live there, SF would be the ideal city for us. There seems to be no place quite like it, and we love almost everything about it.

    I wish you a safe and happy weekend, dear friend Janet. We will be quite busy again tomorrow, but I will break away at some point to visit and view your "S" post. Is "S" for Stinking Rose? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear friend, San Francisco would be grateful to have you and Mrs. Shady for sure! I remember reading Tales of the City as a teenager. It was first published as a series in the San Francisco Chronicle (or Examiner, I can't remember which). When the TV miniseries came out I had to watch it. I now own the complete set of books in the series and will work my way through reading them again.
      Thanks for taking time from your busy day to drop by. If you don't make it tomorrow, don't stress over it!

      Delete
  2. This is a lovely piece, and I think your using it for is creative genius, not a stetch at all. In any case, books, words, solar lights - how fabulous. And the throwing words out of the window to find their placement is absolutely the best! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could just see someone standing on a balcony and throwing words around. I really need to go back!

      Delete
  3. I'm so late here but this is one of my favourites. I love what ot represents and how reading is flying away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never late, Birgit! I don't always see my comments so I may be "late" in responding!

      Delete
  4. I think this was perfect for the letter R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. I was happy they were "books".

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!