Search This Blog

Thursday, April 13, 2023

A to Z – 2023 – K is for Joseph Kosuth who designed WFT (Word Family Tree)

I used to see this interesting set of words on the side of the Bill Graham Auditorium in 2020 when I was driving my son to and from work, which gave me the idea for that year’s A to Z. I didn’t write about it then but I was pleasantly surprised to see it pop up in this year’s Illuminate SF exhibit.

Wrapped around the building is a string of words which form the “Word Family Tree” of civic and auditorium. Designed by Joseph Kosuth, the lighted words were installed in 2019 and represent the first major project funded by the City’s Public Art Trust. Mr. Kosuth describes his work as follows:

The structure of this installation has two parts: the etymology of the words ‘Civic’ and ‘Auditorium’ in white neon on the western façade. The word ‘Civic’ is intricately connected to the long history of civil rights activism that has taken place (and continues to take place) in the plaza–from Gay Rights to Black Lives Matter. The word ‘Auditorium’ on the other hand is more specific to the building itself, referring to the collective audience assembled by Bill Graham, who found a way, as a concert promoter to not only promote concerts but also community. It is only in the present when a word is used, as it is with a work of art being experienced, that all which comprises the present finds its location in the process of making meaning. Here, in this work, language becomes both an allegory and an actual result of all of which it would want to speak.

From where I parked, I could only see this side of the building. The “Auditorium” tree is on the other side. The front of the building had the rainbow colors in the window that I included in my “I” post. I have to say that when I first saw the letters “WFT” I read them as “WTF” and wondered how that would work out. Then I read the description and realized I had the letters mixed up. – LOL

Best Viewing: Anytime after dusk, Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, 99 Grove Street, SF.

We are moving right along here in our A to Z Challenge. See you tomorrow for “L.”



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2023/04/13/a-to-z-2023-k-is-for-joseph-kosuth-who-designed-wft-word-family-tree/

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Happy "K" day, dear friend!

    SF has to be the coolest, most progressive, forward thinking city in America. I envy you for being in such close proximity. Like you, and I am sure like most people nowadays, unfortunately, I at first scrambled the letters, and wondered why such a crude question would be displayed on the side of the building in conjunction with the Illuminate program. As it turns out, just the opposite is true. I think the Word Family Tree idea is marvelous - very tasteful, attractive and thought provoking. It is probably my favorite exhibit so far in terms of simple beauty (pure white lights), artistry (fancy font) and significance to the community. Perhaps it is intentional on your part, but I am just letting you know that the pictures are enormous again today.

    I wish you a happy Thursday, dear friend Janet. I'll be seeing you again tomorrow for "L" day as the A to Z Challenge marches on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear friend! I am sorry you have to contend with the large photos. I posted and then walked our friend Benny. He toured an extra block or two so it took me a little longer to get back to resize. I hope that the large photos won't deter you from coming back!

      I'm glad I'm not the only one who confused the letters. It is interesting to me that while I saw the lights before, the significance of the words didn't mean anything to me until I read about them.

      Once again, I appreciate your faithful visits every day during this hectic month!

      Delete
  2. I'm totally guilty of reading WTF as well, hahaha!!
    That is such a cool installation. I recognized the German word for "getting married".

    https://thethreegerbers.blogspot.com/2023/04/keys.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, WTF could be something you would say about seeing some of the sites in the city - LOL.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I especially love this one - it's totally my kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Deborah, I thought you might like it.

      Delete
  4. This is cool a d I love the old English and the Old German. I know the German word. I read WTF as well..lol

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!