Search This Blog

Sunday, April 30, 2023

A to Z – 2023 – Z is for Zuckerberg SF General where the Ethereal Bodies are

I’m kind of grateful to Mark Zuckerberg for donating so much money to San Francisco General Hospital because I’ve been able to use it as the “Z” letter in two of my A to Z Challenges.

I first went to ZSFG to get pictures for my “A is for Archipelago” post so it is kind of fitting that I end there with the Ethereal Bodies. On the official Illuminate SF site the description is of something else, which is too bad.

In any case, when I went the first time it was a little too early to see either the Archipelago or the Ethereal Bodies in their full glory. This is what I saw on that visit. The lights were just starting to come on and even that was kind of neat. It looks like there is a fire in the bottom.

When I went back to get the night time views for Archipelago, I was so excited to see the changing colors in this sculpture. It was designed in 2015 by Cliff Garten who also designed the Monarch. The stainless steel rods “gather sunlight by day and interact prismatically with the LED lights by night which are activated by motion sensors.” Accordingly, the vision changes as you drive around the circular driveway. The tallest point is 21 feet, 8 inches high and it is 19 feet wide, 15 feet deep overall.

I pulled over and was able to get this video without leaving my car, just in case an emergency came through since it is right in front of the emergency room entrance. Fortunately it was a quiet night, at least while I was there. It might be kind of nice to have this light show to focus on if you are a patient in one of the rooms facing the courtyard.

Best Viewing: After dark in the driveway of Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital Emergency Room entrance, 1001 Potrero Avenue, San Francisco.

And with this we have come to the end of the A to Z Challenge for 2023! I hope that you have enjoyed my trek through San Francisco to find the unusual exhibits that make up Illuminate SF. You can bet that I will be on the lookout for the opening night in November this year to see what new installations they have. Maybe it will be enough for another A to Z! I will be doing my reflection post next week sharing more of my insights on this fun experience. See you then and thanks for coming along this year!



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2023/04/30/a-to-z-2023-z-is-for-zuckerberg-sf-general-where-the-ethereal-bodies-are/

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Happy "Z" day, dear friend!

    Yessum, I agree it is quite fitting that you reported to the same location to start your series and to finish it today. Ethereal Bodies is another dazzler. It amazes me to learn that the stainless steel rod sculptures were fashioned in a way that ensures maximum interaction with sunlight by day, allowing them to soak up the rays, and then emit those glorious colors through interaction with the LED lights at night, turning into giant prisms. I agree that even the pics you collected before dark are worthwhile. The columns appear red hot as if they'd burn if you touched them. At night, the effect is stunning and among the most beautiful of the entire series. The video you shot allows us to watch the sculpture cast an eerie glow in varying colors on the hospital and street. I can't imagine how much time, research and experimentation it took for the artist to perfect this wonderful exhibit.

    The people of San Francisco are fortunate to have all this beauty around them, and you did an excellent job of capturing the splendor of each piece you encountered.
    This series was thoroughly enjoyable, Janet. No doubt about it, your participation in the 2023 A to Z Challenge, which took us full circle from Archipelago to Zuckerberg, was a smashing success. It was fun, interesting and educational from start to finish. I congratulate you on venturing at times into potentially dangerous parts of town and dodging sketchy strangers in remote areas at night to take pictures and shoot videos of fully illuminated structures and objects, essential to the series.

    Congratulations on a job very well done, Janet! Have a delightful Sunday and a safe and happy week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Shady, thanks for being such a loyal follower of my little ramblings. I appreciate the added insights you add with your comments, letting me know that you thoroughly read my words. I will be over to your place to look for your newest post. I'll probably take a few days off so you can rest your eyes - LOL

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!