Search This Blog

Saturday, April 22, 2023

A to Z – 2023 – S is for The Seed

Today is Saturday and for our last letter this week in the A to Z Challenge we have the letter “S.” Fortunately, Illuminate SF has The Seed that I can use.

I got a picture of The Seed in 2021 when I went through the Castro for that year’s A to Z but it was in the daytime. While that looks nice, it is a bit more interesting after dark.

The Seed was designed by Aphidoidea in 2017. It is a collection of six dandelions (only 3 were working when I was there) that are 13 feet tall. They are meant to represent the idea that a single wish blown away can inspire a movement.

I couldn’t do much about the guy sitting in front of the statue. It is true that this is one of the busiest intersections in the city. I was lucky to be able to pull into a gas station across the street.



Sorry about the size of the video. I can't seem to change it.

If I had been paying better attention, right on the other corner from this installation is the Hope Will Never Be Silent saying. Instead, I parked and got these pictures/video and then went around the block and parked again. Typical tourist, no?

We finished another week! One more to go. I have a few coming up that are pretty interesting I think. Hope you are enjoying this trip through the streets of San Francisco. Have a great rest of your weekend.



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2023/04/22/a-to-z-2023-s-is-for-the-seed/

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Thank you very much for your kind reply to my comment from late yesterday. It's great to know that you are familiar with Tales of the City, both the written version and the TV adaptation. Laura Linney is magic to me, and it was a hoot to see young Thomas Gibson, who went on to fame in Dharma & Greg and Criminal Minds, appearing as a cad in the Tales miniseries.

    I was able to break away from my household duties to visit you a little earlier today, and I'm very happy that I got to see your 'S" post and "The Seed." With vividly colored 13-foot dandelions rising from the pavement, The Castro district looks like The Land That Time Forgot. When it comes to capturing their eerie beauty, night time is definitely the right time. It's only fitting that your video insert is also 13-foot tall. :) The symbolism of the exhibit is empowering, the idea that a single wish blown away like a dandelion seed on the wind can take root and inspire a movement, no doubt a reference to Harvey Milk.

    It hardly seems possible that there is only one week remaining in the 2023 A to Z Challenge. It seems to be flying by, a sign that I'm having fun, and I have you to thank for that. Have a lovely weekend, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine that the reason the video did not transfer here from WP as it usually does is because I had it in a conversation box on that site. Thanks for putting up with it. I agree that the symbolism of the dandelion is indeed a reference to Harvey Milk and the wish that all, no matter what race/gender etc., can find peace and happiness. Have fun with Mrs. Shady after your chores are done!

      Delete
  2. Being obsessed with seeds, I can't help but love this one. I like them both unlit and with their pretty night colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kind of a cool art installation. Having the lighting reminds me of the big towers at the entrance of L.A. Airport that have lighting that changes colors.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very interesting to watch them change.

      Delete
  4. I love this but they look like petunias to me. Sad that only 3 are working. This is excellent to see all of these installations

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!