Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 26, 2023

A to Z – 2023 – V is for Valencia Street where you will find the Handsignals

It is fortunate for me that San Francisco has streets with names that start with “V” so I can use them in my A to Z Challenge!

As you can imagine almost every street corner in the city has traffic signals. If you are wondering whether to stop or go, these symbols are not going to help with that. Instead, the Handsignals represent the themes in the Mission District’s culture. I can identify the people, the knife and fork, the sun, the bike and the mustache down at the bottom. The third one looks like a mask and the fourth one looks like a bird. I’m not sure what those are supposed to represent. Designed by Matthew Passmore/MoreLab in 2014, the signpost marks the entrance to McCoppin Hub Plaza.

The plaza itself was closed when I went by but the signals blink on and off in an irregular pattern both day and night. On the other side, McCoppin is spelled out in black letters on a yellow background.

Unfortunately I couldn’t cut down the palm tree and there was no other vantage point available for me to get the whole thing. It also appears that the sun does not shine at the moment LOL.

Sorry about the video. I can't make it smaller on Blogger when it comes over in this format from WP. 

Best Viewing: Stand on Valencia Street sidewalk to get a close up of the artwork. If you get there early enough, you can walk up the terraced steps of the multi-level McCoppin Hub Plaza to get a higher view of the neighborhood.

There are four more letters to go. I think the Illuminate SF installations I have for them are some of the best of the series so hang with me!



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2023/04/26/a-to-z-2023-v-is-for-valencia-street-where-you-will-find-the-handsignals/

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Happy "V" day, dear friend! The finish line's in sight!

    Handsignals on Valencia has me a bit baffled. Even after clicking over to the city's Illuminate installation guide and reading the description there, I'm still confused. I also have to wonder if such an exhibit might lead to an accident or at the very least mislead a passerby into thinking it is directing them toward a certain type of shop or eatery up the block. I'm sure the neighborhood locals understand it by now, but out-of-towners might have a problem.

    Thanks again for going out of your way to dot every "I" and cross every "T" (and busy intersection) to bring us your 2023 A to Z series. It's fun and I'm learning a lot.
    Have a wonderful Wednesday and I'll see you tomorrow for "W" day, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Shady! I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by the signs.

      Delete
  2. Photobombing palms - how vexing. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!