Search This Blog

Monday, April 10, 2023

A to Z – 2023 – H is for Hope Will Never Be Silent

We’re starting our second week here on the A to Z Challenge. My theme this year is the Illuminate SF light art experience. I hade fun going through San Francisco looking for the different light installations that are hidden throughout the city.

Today we have, Hope Will Never Be Silent, which is written in lights above the SoulCycle building that overlooks Harvey Milk Plaza in the Castro District. You may remember I wrote about the Castro District when I went through the city in 2020. It is the center of the gay community in SF.

Harvey Milk was the first openly gay elected official in the history of California. He was elected to the Board of Supervisors of San Francisco in 1977 and assassinated in November of 1978. There was a movie made about him starring Sean Penn who won an Oscar for his portrayal. I’d recommend watching it. He had an interesting life, cut short by a mentally deranged colleague, Dan White, who also killed the mayor of San Francisco, George Moscone. White was convicted and went to prison but killed himself two years after he was released.

The photos aren’t that great because this is one of the busiest intersections in the city. I had to find parking and then walk up the block to get this shot. As you can see there are lots of telephone poles and street signs in the way so I did the best I could.

Illuminate is the arts group that designed the fixture and it was installed in 2017. It is to honor Harvey Milk’s legacy “through light’s power of attraction.”

Best Viewing: The lights can be seen from dark until dawn. View it from the top of the Castro Muni Metro Station escalator and other spots around Harvey Milk Plaza.

One of the things that this excursion is reminding me is to look up. So often we just look straight ahead and we may miss something special. I didn’t get to visit as many new folks as I would have liked. Hopefully I’ll be able to do that this week. See you tomorrow for “I.”



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2023/04/10/a-to-z-2023-h-is-for-hope-will-never-be-silent/

9 comments:

  1. How wonderful that there is a tribute for Harvey Milk. We're 45 years later, and not enough has changed, unfortunately.

    https://thethreegerbers.blogspot.com/2023/04/hit.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Janet!

    Happy Monday and "H" day, dear friend! The permanent light beacon entitled Hope Will Never Be Silent is an inspiring sight. Previously oblivious, I finally learned the important and tragic tale of gay activist Harvey Milk a few years ago on another blog. Thanks for refreshing my memory and tipping me off about the 2008 Sean Penn film Milk. I am going to mention it to Mrs. Shady and we will hopefully rent it this evening. SF's pride is indeed showing in the significant investment being made in a planned renovation project to honor Milk's legacy.

    As always, I appreciate the fact that you went to considerable trouble to get these pictures for your series. You're right. People are often too busy looking straight ahead or down (into their phones) and therefore miss many wonderful sights that can been seen by looking up.

    Have a wonderful week, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember clearly the time of the assassinations. It was so sad. If you get a chance to watch the movie, let me know what you think. I might watch it again myself! Thanks for continuing to support my ramblings my friend. I appreciate you!

      Delete
  3. It's great to see that reminder and tribute to Milk. I remember a saying when I was a child, but I have no clue who told me. "Eyes up, eyes down, eyes looking all around. Nothing's lost, but something's found."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been meaning to see Milk for a long time. This is a great sign and needed for today when the States have, yet, another shooting. Why there is no gun control is beyond me but that’s for another day. Hope is needed now more than ever and this is. Great sign

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ughh..it’s Birgit

      Delete
    2. Hi Birgit - The movie was pretty good. I hope you get a chance to see it.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!