Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 19, 2023

A to Z – 2023 – P is for Point Cloud

Continuing to work our way through the alphabet for the A to Z Challenge this year, we are at the letter “P.” As you know I am wandering around the streets of San Francisco looking for the interesting light installations that are part of the “Illuminate SF” project.

Today we have Point Cloud which was designed by Leo Villarreal and opened in 2019. It is a 100-foot pedestrian bridge that crosses Howard Street, connecting the two sides of Moscone Center (named for George Moscone, the Mayor of San Francisco who was assassinated with Harvey Milk).

I was able to pull over to the side of the road and get this short video to give you an idea of the light show. See if you can spot the little friend I found in the building.

There are 858 steel rods suspended from the roof with 28,288 LED lights which are individually programmed and change 30 times PER SECOND into shades of blue, yellow, orange, pink and lavender.

Best Viewing: Nighttime from the corner of Howard and Third streets. That’s just about where I was parked.

Pretty cool, huh? See you tomorrow for “Q.”



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2023/04/19/a-to-z-2023-p-is-for-point-cloud/

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Happy "P" day, dear friend!

    Your camera captured Point Cloud in all its mind-blowing splendor, dear friend. I'm thinking that this display and the Lantern Stories are two of the best fully visible and fully functioning exhibits you've presented in the series, because the lighting effects are so easy to see. SF's rainbow pride is showing, and Point Cloud is a wonderful tribute to the late Mayor George Moscone. I forgot to tell you that in Milk, the role of the mayor was played by Canadian actor Victor Garber. Garber's face is very familiar to me because I've been watching him for years in regular and recurring roles on the superhero TV series The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow and (Green) Arrow. If the pedestrian bridge looks that spectacular from your vantage point down below, I can only imagine what it's like to walk through it.

    Thanks for playing Show & Tell again today, dear friend Janet. I'll be back to see you tomorrow for "Q" day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi my friend! I wondered about what it would look like walking underneath those lights. I didn't know that about Victor Garber, thanks for the extra info. I thought about taking videos of all the different exhibits but a lot of them were just stationary lights. I guess I could have gotten more of the surrounding area but I didn't think about it at the time. I was just happy to have found what I was looking for! Thanks again for keeping up with me.

      Delete
  2. Definitely cool. And 28,000+ LED lights - my mind boggles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must be pretty to look at when it's dark.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!