Search This Blog

Monday, April 17, 2023

A to Z – 2023 – N is for Ivan Navarro who designed The Ladder (Sun or Moon)

And so we begin another week in our A to Z Challenge. My theme this year is a San Francisco experience called Illuminate SF. For the last 10 years there have been installations of lights around the city. Some have become permanent and those are the ones we are visiting.

For the letter “N” I am using Ivan Navarro’s design called “The Ladder.” It was installed in 2020 on the side of the building at 1066 Market Street. During the day it looks like a normal functioning fire escape but at night the neon lights make it look like a stairway to the sky.

Mr. Navarro’s concept is to take ordinary looking things and transform them into works of art. This particular ladder is 10 stories high and cost $850,000. I am wondering how the people who live in those apartments deal with that neon light right outside their window all night. And I don’t think it’s an actual functioning fire escape. You can see that some of the lights need replacing too.

Best Viewing: Anytime after dusk.

That’s all I got for this one. Come back tomorrow for some “O’s.”



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2023/04/17/a-to-z-2023-n-is-for-ivan-navarro-who-designed-the-ladder-sun-or-moon/

6 comments:

  1. Oh dear, even if it were functioning, I wouldn't fancy using it. I'd change my mind pretty quickly in an emergency, though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Although it would be easy to see where you were going.

      Delete
  2. I love the colour and I hope the city or the artist replaces the bulbs. I bet people ha e gotten used to the colour or they bought curtains to shut out the lights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that you usually get accustomed to things like the lights. We are used to the planes that fly overhead and the train that passes by on the other side.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Janet!

    Happy Monday and happy "N" day, dear friend!

    This is my favorite A to Z Challenge of yours, because I have always been fascinated by various kinds of lighting and the use of lighting techniques as art. Illuminate SF brings us fantastic displays in parks and on buildings all over town.

    Your remark brought to mind one of my favorite oldies, "Magic Town," by The Vogues, the Pittsburgh area vocal group of the 1960s. The song's lyrics include:

    They said neon lights were a beautiful sight
    But how 'bout the one blinkin' in my room all night?

    Maybe some of the lights are missing because angry tenants took hammers to them! :)

    I have a program note, dear friend. My next post at Shady's Place starts tomorrow. It is a birthday tribute to a Shady Dell V.I.P. I invite you to attend the party which will run a full six days. Thanks and have a wonderful week, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my friend! I am sorry that I missed some of the temporary light installations because they look amazing. I'm definitely going to pay attention to the Festival of lights this year. Thanks for the heads up about your party. I'll be there!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!