Search This Blog

Saturday, April 15, 2023

A to Z – 2023 – M is for Monarch

I know I have been using some creativity to connect the dots on the A to Z but for this one I am able to match the name of the Illuminate SF installation to the correct letter of the alphabet! Actually, there were 14 of the 26 that I was able to match exactly.

The Monarch sculpture was designed by Cliff Garten in 2015. It is made of stainless steel and LED lights. It depicts the metaphor of how individuals become stronger by gathering together in communities. San Francisco has a “percent for art” requirement for new buildings and this piece was chosen by local Kaiser Permanente staff.

During the day sunlight breaks through the installation highlighting individual butterflies. At night programmable LED lights illuminate the gathering with “multi-colored luminescence.” I didn’t see any changing colors but it did look different from different spots in the little park. Maybe it was still too early, although it was dark out and I did wander about a bit getting it from different angles.

And while I was getting those pictures I saw this:

Another one of the Hearts of San Francisco from the 2021 A to Z!

Best Viewing: The Monarch is located at 1600 Owens Street outside the Kaiser Permanente Medical Offices. Arrive after dusk to view the oscillating LED illumination (which I didn’t see – LOL)

We made it through the second week! Are you having fun going through SF with me? I’ll see you next week. We still have a few really cool lights to see.



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2023/04/15/a-to-z-2023-m-is-for-monarch/

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Happy "M" day, dear friend!

    I don't care how creative you are being with the titles in order to make them fit the corresponding letters. You picked a great theme for this year's A to Z Challenge. I am thoroughly enjoying the Illuminate SF sightseeing tour and learning a lot in every post about this great city located only a short distance from your home.

    Monarch is an awesome creation, and yet another exhibit in the progressive city of San Francisco that carries an inspiring and empowering message ("stronger together") for citizens and visiting travelers who approach and pause to gaze at it. I wish I were there to experience first hand the full impact of the stunning sculpture. From a distance, Monarch looks like an elongated pinecone. A closer view reveals that it is composed of some 900 separate butterflies engaged in a mating ritual. I'd love to see it in the daytime and at night, because it surely is spectacular. I envy you living so close to SF, a mecca of art and culture, Janet.

    I hope you have a nice Sunday break and I'll be back to see you on Monday. Please take good care of yourself, your MIL and my buddy Benny and have a wonderful weekend, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shady. I just this morning had a thought to go around the city one more time in the daylight and take photos of these installations to see what they look like at that time. I'll be sure to post if I do. Hope you and Mrs. Shady have a terrific weekend too!

      Delete
  2. I am, indeed, having a delightful time touring SF with you. And the butterflies are loverly - both in design and in message. And how fun to spot a heart, too. And a lovely one at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah! I loved finding those hearts in addition to what my original objective was.

      Delete
  3. With some very awkward letters in the alphabet we all have to be creative with them lol. I like this installation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The heart is nice and hopeful. I want sure about this sculpture until you showed some close ups. It's really cool and shows how monarchs are when they make it to Mexico. They do hang like that. It would be neat to see at different times of the day.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!