Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 5, 2023

A to Z – 2023 – D is for Day for Night

My theme for the A to Z is a San Francisco experience called “Illuminate SF.” Although it has been going on for 10 years now, I just heard about it recently and unfortunately not in time to see the “Festival of Light” that runs from November to January. There are many installations that have become permanent parts of the city and those are the ones that I’m using for this year’s challenge.

Today we have Day for Night which is the light show that goes on every night from the top of the Salesforce Building, labeled the “tallest public art installation in the country.” You may remember that I spoke about the Salesforce Building in 2020 when I went through San Francisco for my A to Z.

During the day the tower just looks like another tall building but as evening draws closer, you can see the lights beginning to come on.

Jim Campbell is the designer of this large movie screen and it was unveiled in 2018. There are 11,000 lights and video screens that broadcast daily scenes of life as recorded by multiple cameras spread throughout the city. Click here to see real-time videos from some of those cameras.


In the times that I have been doing the research for this project I have not seen the multicolored displays that the website shows. The view above is the one I’ve seen, which reminds me of the waves in the Pacific Ocean. To be honest though, I haven’t been in SF when there are any big holidays or special days. The designer said it was not going to be used as a giant billboard for advertisements and I haven’t seen any of that either.

Best View: Almost anywhere in the city, just look up.

Four down, 22 to go! See you tomorrow with a fun one.



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2023/04/05/a-to-z-2023-d-is-for-day-for-night/

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Happy "D" day, dear friend!

    Yessum, I remember you visiting the Salesforce Building for your A to Z in 2020. That post included a picture taken from the base of the spectacular 1,000+ foot Tower and another from a distance showing how it juts up above the rest of the city skyline. I am delighted that you took us there again this year and showed us how it looks at night as one of the Illuminate SF exhibits. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the panoramic real time view of SF from those tower cameras. When viewed from that high elevation, life below seems to move in slow motion. The Day For Night effect is stunning and dramatic and instills pride in the city of San Francisco.

    I really enjoyed today's post, and I look forward to having fun here again tomorrow. Have a wonderful Wednesday, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks as always my friend. I remember driving in front of City Hall many times when I was taking my son to work. If I had known there was a camera there I'd have waved - LOL.

      Delete
  2. I now look forward to going back in you blogs and reading about this building! Zulu Delta

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so cool!
    I need a vacation so I can take a trip to SF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The top of that building reminds me of a rattlesnakes' tail:). I like the imaged shown at night. Relaxing

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!