Search This Blog

Friday, January 3, 2020

Just Jot January - 2020 - Poke

Ever heard the term "Pig in a poke?"  I thought of that when I read Linda's prompt for today.  I had to look it up and it means buying something without really knowing everything about it.  I try really hard to pay attention to what I'm buying, especially if it is expensive.

I'd have to say that buying our Dodge Journey was like buying a pig in a poke.  I really wanted the car because of the name, Journey, which is one of my all time favorite groups (the Steve Perry years).  We didn't have much money and so I went online to find a used one, which I did at a dealer near us.  It had been on the lot for quite a while (which in itself should have told me something) but I just used that to try and get a better deal (which I didn't).



This car had lots of secret hiding places and not much mileage so I thought it was a good bargain.  Unfortunately, it also had some problems that became apparent after we had it for a while - like the habit of not starting occasionally.  I would go out to run some errands and get stuck when I tried to get back.  Of course, most of the time when I called my husband to come and rescue me, it would start right up!  Eventually we got a recall notice about it and there was a problem with something, I can't even remember now what it was.  We had them fix it but shortly thereafter we got our CRV which I loved.  One good thing is that we got money back on our income taxes that year since I use my vehicle for work and somehow what we got in trade in value was less than what the depreciation was or something like that (a refund is a refund, who cares really why?) 

So, got a pig in a poke story to share?





4 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Mrs. Shady and I have been buying Hondas, mostly CRVs, ever since the mid 80s. I have come to trust them for quality, low maintenance and endurance. When it is time to buy a new car, Mrs. Shady and I don't look elsewhere. We head to our Honda dealership and select from their models. We have never been disappointed.

    Please give Benny a pat on the head and a biscuit and tell him its from Shady. Have a super day, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Honda is our favorite too. We had an Accord first and that lasted quite a while. When the kids were little we had a Mercury Villager and then the Journey because I thought I needed more room to drive everyone around. We got a CRV in 2016 and I loved it. I just recently traded it in for an HRV but it is a little too small for my husband so when it is time we'll probably go back to the CRV. I will give Benny your regards! Thanks for stopping by my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well we have a Skoda Superb which is a lovely roomy saloon car which we love BUT in some ways it's definitely now a Pig in a Poke. We bought it second hand but almost new when our previous model was starting to get old and needing works done. Being the same model but newer and with some nice extras on it we thought it was a good buy even though it was a diesel. At that time we were being encouraged to buy diesel. Now in London they have introduced something called a ULEZ Ultra Low Emission Zone. Comes into force next year so by then our car will need to be gone! Doesn't meet the criteria and it would cost us money just to have it parked outside the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you hate when they make these rules that force you to change things? We have electric cars here now and every town is designating parking spots for those vehicles with battery stations. Of course they put them in the prime locations so us other folks have to walk farther!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!