Search This Blog

Thursday, April 23, 2020

A to Z Challenge - 2020 - Toto

Toto was the first band we saw at the Mountain Winery!  We went to see them and Three Dog Night, who were actually the headliners, in June 2007.  My best friend, Margie, and her husband met us there and we had drinks and sandwiches before we went in.  The venue looked very different than it does now and we had seats that were pretty far back but it was still a great show.  I didn't realize all the songs that Three Dog Night actually had.  We didn't take any pictures that night but I found some promo stuff online and used that to make the layouts for the album.



We next saw Toto in 2017 when they opened at the Winery for Pat Benatar.  This show was even better than the first one.  We had MUCH closer seats this time, in the front section, five rows back.  Of course I took lots of pictures.  

For this set I chose a collection called "Main Street" from Quick Quotes Scrapbooking.  It was a pack I got at one of the Scrapbook Expos I've been to.  I love it. 






Here's what I came up with for the first page.  I'm not thrilled with my printing of the date and I may try and change that but I didn't have number stickers that matched.


Took a chance again and stamped the sentiment after I had put all the pictures down on this sheet.  Thank goodness it came out okay.  


Naturally I got some really good pictures but sadly, I don't have time to scrap them all right now so here are just a few.  






Steve Lukather is a terrific guitarist and he was also very engaging with the crowd.  He even caught my husband playing his air guitar along with him and gave him a nod.  That interaction made this show special for my hubby so when I got an email about the book "The Gospel According To Luke" and saw that it was a signed edition, I had to get it for him for Christmas a couple of years ago.  It looks pretty interesting so I am going to read it too.  



Here's "Africa" as we saw it.  




"T" is done!  U is already prepped.  V may be an easy one.  I'm crossing my fingers for the rest! Thank goodness for Sunday!




11 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    This is a pleasant surprise, dear friend. You are featuring a band named after my dearly departed dog who is currently the blog mascot and Chief Petting Officer at Shady's Place! :)

    You were lucky to see Toto with Three Dog Night (a total of four dogs represented between the two acts) and a second show opening for rock chic Pat Benatar. The list of artists you, your husband, daughters and friends have seen in live performances reads like a who's who of the rock music world. Once again your layouts are smart and attractive. I am awestruck by the thousands of paper colors and designs that are available for scrapbooking these days along with templates, stencils, stamps, stickers and other embellishments. I like the empowering message "We can't always choose the music life plays for us, but we can choose how we dance to it." You collected some excellent up-close pictures of the Toto guys at that second concert, and they cooperated by playing side by side. It's so cool that Steve Lukather gave your hubby a nod as he played air guitar. "Africa" is my favorite Toto song. It always gives me goosebumps to listen to it.

    If I had been playing along with the A to Z, I might have gone with T-Rex for the separate letter "T" in the band's name (worth extra credit), or with Tommy Tutone for a double "T" score and the win! :)

    I enjoyed the "T" post, dear friend, and I intend to follow you all the way to the finish line. Have a great day, Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shady! I am glad you enjoyed this post. I am sorry to learn of your dog's demise. We've lost a couple cats so I know the feeling. LOL we did see Tommy Tutone the night we saw Rick Springfield, but I knew I wanted Toto for my "T." Have you heard the version of "Africa" where they use clapping hands to make rain sounds? The Angels City Choir. It is amazing.

      https://youtu.be/-c9-poC5HGw

      Thanks for hanging in with me!

      Delete
    2. My goodness, NO! I never saw that video! If you close your eyes, you'd swear you are listening to the recorded sound of a rain storm. Remarkable! Thanks, Janet!

      Delete
  2. You're doing a great job Janet, and the end of the alphabet is nearing. :-) Loved Shady's comment about the four dogs - how funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah! Shady has some great comments. I am glad the end is in sight.

      Delete
  3. Hi Janet! I'm trying to catch up on blog posts I missed, but for some reason I can't see most of the pictures in your older posts. :-(

    I love what you stamped on the page, "We can't always choose the music life plays for us, but we can choose how we dance to it." Words to live by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trudy - You can't see the pictures in my A to Z or way older? That's a scary thought. I'll have to check things out. Last year my word of the year was Dance so the quote was particularly meaningful for me.

      Delete
    2. I wonder if it is a glitch in the system. On the 23rd, I couldn't see most of the pictures for E thru R. I could see a few, but most just had a big white circle with a dash in the middle. Today, though, the pictures show up on some of those posts, but still can't see all the pictures on E, F, H, J, K. Maybe those will show up eventually, too.

      Delete
    3. Really odd. I haven't had anyone else say that. I'll double check from my end again.

      Delete
    4. Just checked and I couldn't see them either. I looked for info and Blogger seems to be having a problem and they are aware of it. You can also find my blog on WordPress at
      https://scr4pl80.wordpress.com/ Thanks for telling me about it!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!