Search This Blog

Friday, April 3, 2020

A to Z Challenge - 2020 - Clapton

We are going back in time for the letter "C," - 2007 to be exact.  It was early in our concert going days and I was so excited to see that Eric Clapton was coming to the HP Pavilion (now SAP Center) in San Jose.  I should have paid a little more attention to who his opening act was though as it turned out to be a blues singer, Robert Cray, which meant that the whole show was going to have a bluesy feel rather than the rock and roll we were looking for.  Lesson learned on this one!

Just as it was early in our concert going days, it was early in my scrapbooking days too so I didn't have as many embellishments or tools.  We also didn't take our "selfie" which is now pretty much a staple at every show.






I do have the "tickets" so we have the info of who, what, where and when. 




Also, these pages have been scrapbooked already so I don't have the detailed examples of what I did and how I put them together.  Mostly I just fit the pictures on the page.  I think the title is my favorite part.  There are no extra embellishments or anything.      


The pictures I got from the show weren't that great either because I had an older camera that didn't have as good a zoom as the one I have now.  I do have the setlist though.  I didn't know very many of the songs.   


The people sitting a couple of rows in front of us were up and moving through the whole show.  Obviously they like the blues!



As you can see by the newspaper clippings, Eric Clapton really didn't do much in the way of playing or singing himself.  He frequently would just play a bit of the song's intro and then step back to let his band play the rest.  "He seemed bored."  



Although I did hear a few songs of Robert Cray's that I like ("Bad Influence" and "Guess I Showed Her") and Eric did sing "Wonderful Tonight" and "Layla," we do not consider this as one of our top 10 concerts.  


I might consider seeing him again but a lot would depend on who the opening act is and what the set list looks like.  I think it was after this show that I started looking on Setlist.com before each concert.  We didn't want to be fooled again.

There are only 3 pages for the whole thing and this is how they look in the album.  I'm pretty sure I didn't want to spend too much time on it.




As if I needed something else to make this a less than favorable memory, while I was going through the album to take the pages out for this post it broke!  I had to move everything to another album. Thank goodness I had an extra one or I'd really be mad.




What do you think of our first few days of the A to Z?  Are you finding some new blogs to follow?  Come back tomorrow for "D."  It's a much better show!











5 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Great to "C" you, dear friend! Like you, I would rather go to a rock show than one where they play the blues. Clapton swings both ways and has cred in both genres. I'm sorry to read that he kinda phoned it at this concert and received some negative feedback for it. I remember the MTV station where I worked in the 80s and 90s playing Robert Cray's "Smoking Gun" and "Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark" videos.

    It's cool that your scrapbooking has evolved since those early years in the mid 2000s and that taking selfies has become an integral part of every band's tribute. It's great that you also include the set list for every show you attend. It's good thinking on your part to check Setlist.com to see what type of show an artist will be doing when he comes to town. Best of all you have upgraded your camera in recent years, enabling you to take those awesome pictures as artists perform. Even with the old camera you used in 2007, you snapped some marvelous shots of Clapton and Cray.

    Sorry you broke your binder to bring us this post. I will BOLO for your "D" presentation tomorrow. May I assume the band is not Disco Tex & His Sex-O-Lettes? :)

    Enjoy your day, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Shady, you are right, that is NOT the band I feature tomorrow. I know that Clapton came around again, this time with Steve Winwood as his opening act and that might have been a different show. It was interesting to note that we were not the only ones who felt that way about Clapton's performance. Thanks again for taking the time to visit my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's good to know about setlist.com. I hope I can remember that the next time we go to a concert... it might be awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Blues so I would have enjoyed this show but not if Clapton looked bored. He was not putting his best effort into the show and it showed. I can see the difference between this one. And your later works but it is still excellent

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!