Search This Blog

Saturday, April 18, 2020

A to Z Challenge - 2020 - Petty

"P" is for Petty, Tom Petty.  I am not sure why but of all of the musicians we have lost in the last few years, his death really hit me.  I cried, which is something I hardly ever do.  I was so sorry that I hadn't gone to the concerts he did in our area right before he passed.  I thought they were too far away and wasn't familiar with the venue but in retrospect, I should have made the effort.  He died a month and a half later.  At least we did get to see him twice.

The first time was at Oracle Arena in 2010.  Our eldest daughter came with us.  I was amazed at how many trucks it took to bring all the equipment in.



We had reasonably good seats, although they were off to the side of the stage a bit.  I even joined his fan club so I could get early access and bought a sweatshirt.  


I made these layouts a while ago but I still remember some of the things I did.  The musical stamp on this page is a smaller version of the one I used with Daughtry.



The paper is from a collection from Paper Wishes called Hopscotch.




I used the "Say Cheese" stencil that I used with the Frampton pictures.



I used the "Pearls" stencil for this one.  


I had a stamp that looked like the circles on the paper so I stamped it in the corners and added some enamel dots.  






Here's the setlist from that show and also a review that was in the paper.  I really love the picture of Tom with his arms outstretched and his back to the crowd.



He was promoting his then new album, Mojo, and some of the songs were really good.  I'm glad he did his standard hits too though.  I "made" this paper myself, using watercolor crayons.  I think it matches pretty well, don't you?  





This is "Running Down a Dream" from the second time we saw him, in San Jose in 2014.  My goal had been to scrapbook those pictures for this post but that's not happening. 




I'm hoping to use tomorrow to get ahead a bit on the rest of the alphabet.  Oh who am I kidding?  10 days left of the A to Z Challenge.  Are we having fun yet?













5 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    I'm sorry it hit you so hard when Tom Petty died. It's a sad coincidence that he passed away soon after he brought his show to your vicinity and you elected not to go that far our of your way to see him. I know how you must regret that decision. Petty was apparently in a great deal of physical pain and over-medicated. His loss at the young age of 66 is incalculable. Fortunately you have memories and memorabilia of two previous Petty shows that you did attend, and they are right here in the pages of your scrapbook. I like the paper color combo and the choice of stamps and stencils. I am in awe that you made some of the matching paper yourself with watercolor crayons. I wouldn't have known the difference! I enjoyed the clip. Clearly Tom revealed himself to be in good voice and still an A list entertainer in that second show in 2014.

    Have a safe and happy weekend, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad to think that he was in so much pain. I'm sure that we (his fans) would rather have had him take some time off to get better and then come back instead of losing him forever. Thanks for the compliments about the paper. I may try that again in future layouts. Have a great weekend. Stay healthy.

      Delete
  2. I hope you've had better progress than me. It's 6.30 pm on Sunday here and I haven't started on any posts yet. I have 3 already done and set to publish but they're X Y and Z. I need one for tomorrow at least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am "cheating" a bit by not completing the whole thing, but at least I'm getting a start on it all and saving the papers and photos together so when I have time I can pick up where I left off. I have Q, U, and X that are done except for the words, so, yeah.

      Delete
  3. I was shocked when he died and someone else died right around the same time which was also a shocker. He was too young but at least he is fondly remembered. You created a really nice couple of pages and you made it in sort of a memory and I especially love the arrow page.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!