Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Rocktober Music Fest - 2019 - Bon Jovi - Live Before You Die and other October Oddities

We heard the other day about the sudden passing of one of the guys who golfs in the tournament with my husband every September.  That means we just saw him last month.  He was perfectly fine.  He has even won the tournament a few times, although not this time. 

Apparently last Wednesday there was a freak accident and he fell.  Emergency surgery was done but he was paralyzed from the neck down.  He was able to shrug his shoulders and perhaps move a finger.  He developed pneumonia and said he felt like he was drowning.  The doctors told him that would happen a lot since he would not be able to exercise to clear his lungs.  He didn't want to live like that.  His wife didn't want to let him go.  On Sunday he died.  Four days and gone.  I cannot imagine. 




Makes you wonder.  Here I was moving my 96-year-old mother 100 miles away from me to start a "new life" at the same time as this 60-ish-year-old man lost his.  We truly have no control. 

So, for today's #RMF I've chosen Bon Jovi's "Live Before You Die." 

Live Before You Die
I was a little boy of 9 years old
The whole world in my hands
Trying to toss that ball across the yard
A game of catch with my old man
He would always say I'm sorry
Every time he had to leave
And I was much too young to understand
When he would say to me
When you're young, you always think
The sun is gonna shine
There will come a day when you have to say hello to goodbye
Sit down son come take my hand
Look me in the eye
Take these words, promise me
You'll live before you die
I was barely seventeen, summer of seventy-nine
Already I was feeling like I was running out of time
I had this girl, we fell in love
Or should I say that she had me
That fateful night changed our lives
And made a memory
When you're young, you always think
The sun is gonna to shine
There will come a day when you have to say hello to goodbye
She laid me down, she took my hand
Looked me in the eye
And just before she kissed me she said
You gotta live before you die
Live before you die
You learn to love, to live
You fight and you forgive
You learn what's wrong and right
You live before you die
I've made mistakes, I've caught some breaks
But I got no regrets
There's some things I don't remember
But one thing I don't forget
When you're young, you always think
The sun is gonna shine
One day you're going to have to say hello to goodbye
Shout it out, let someone somewhere know you're alive
Take these words wear 'em well
Live before you die
Live before you die
Hey
Live before you die
You learn to love, to live
You fight and you forgive
You face the darkest night
Just live before you die
Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Richie Sambora / Jon Bon Jovi
Live Before You Die lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Universal Music Publishing Group, Kobalt Music Publishing Ltd.








Hug your family and friends.  Tell them you love them.  Live life without regrets.  Smile a lot.  Be kind.  You never know.   

4 comments:

  1. That is horrible, so sad and I feel so bad for his wife , kids and family left behind. You are right, we just never know. Good choice of song you used and I like the scrapbook page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit. I have made scrapbooks pages for each of the 23 years of the tournament. We are into four books now! I cannot imagine what his wife is going through. So sad.

      Delete
  2. What sad news for you and yes it does bring things into focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Wendy. It is the suddenness of it all. If he had had an illness it might not seem so bad. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!