Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Rocktober Music Fest - 2019 - and other October Oddities - Moving

You may (or may not) have noticed I skipped a couple of days in the Rocktober Music Fest.  I was helping my mom move from her apartment to a new home with my younger sister.  It was kind of an emotional experience because mom has lived in this apartment for 37 years, longer than she lived in any of her other homes.  Longer than she and my dad lived the house in which I grew up.  Her apartment was five minutes from us.  She is going to be an hour and a half away now.  I know I won't see her as often as I am used to.  She won't be spending Thanksgiving and Christmas with us every year. 

I know that it is time for her to be with someone on a more full time basis as she has had some medical issues in the last couple of years that make living on her own not a great idea.  I am grateful that my sister has room for her in her new house.  I should be relieved because now the emergency room visits, trips to the library and grocery shopping will be someone else's responsibility.   

Locking the door of #8 one last time.

Putting on a smile
Still, I am thankful for the last few months since mom has needed me to take her places and do things for her.  It made me happy to think that I could try to repay her in some small way for all of the things she did for me and my family.  She watched all three of our children when they were babies and took them to school when they got older.  She lent us her car or, more specifically she drove me to work every day, when we were a one car family.  She let us come and swim in the pool at the apartment complex during the summer and even let us use her shower when our bathroom was being remodeled.

If it is hard for me, imagine what it must be like for her!  She is having to get used to not driving herself wherever she wants to go, living in a new city, living with someone again, and having to get used to a dog!  My sister and her husband are strict vegans as well so mom is going to need to learn a new way of eating.  I'm sure there will be more activity for her though as my sister has her kids living close by so there are grandchildren and great grandchildren for my mom to enjoy.  At 96 though, and as someone who is very set in her ways and used to her independence, it will definitely be a new journey.  

Which leads me to the #RMF.  I've chosen Journey for today.  We have seen them multiple times although, sadly, not with Steve Perry.  I was wishing that when they performed in San Francisco they could have persuaded Steve to come and sing a song with them but it was not to be.  This is from 2016. 

Neal Schon does one of the best versions of the Star Spangled Banner I've ever heard.

Neal Schon

Arnel Pineda

Ross Valory

Jonathan Cain

Steve Smith
   
And the song is Don't Stop Believing.  


Because I have to believe that mom (and I) will be okay.




2 comments:

  1. That's a big change for all of you and it will take some time to adjust. Hopefully you can keep in touch with video calls between your visits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She doesn't do video calls but we have talked every day. I can see that I'll probably call her more than I did when she was living closer!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!