Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

A to Z Challenge - 2020 - Get Ready

The premise of the A to Z Challenge is that you write a post with the corresponding letter of the alphabet in mind.  My theme for this year is to show the scrapbook pages I've made of bands we have seen.  In 2017 when I did the same theme, I used Genesis as my "G."  We didn't see any other "G" bands so I'm using the name of a song that starts with the letter "G," - Get Ready by the Temptations.  I have another band that I want to use for "T."

Turns out that I saw the Temptations for the first time at the Circle Star Theater in 1973!  That was a really interesting venue because the stage was a circle and it rotated during the performance.  I have no pictures from that time but I do have the program in my very old scrapbook. 


This time we saw them at the Mountain Winery - can you tell that is one of our favorite venues?  I decided to use this paper from Creative Memories that I've had in my stash for quite a while.




The Motown evening had the Temptations paired with the Four Tops but I already had Frampton picked for my "F" so I only scrapped the Temptations pictures for now.  


A friend of ours who is a big Temptation/Four Tops fan came with us. 


I really didn't do too much extra to these pages other than add some Dazzles stickers as accents.  The paper itself has a busy background.  

There is only one of the original Temptations left but it was hard to tell.  They were really good and had the crowd up on their feet dancing along.

I didn't have a set list from that show but in general they sang their hits.



I thought it was cool the way they put their arms on each other's shoulders as they left the stage. 


Here are the pages as they turned out for the album.




And a video of my favorite song, "Lady Soul."




Hope you don't mind the little trickery with the letter today.  In fact, I am going to do it with a couple of other letters too.  I'm calling it creative license.  See you tomorrow with "H." 










4 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    I'm glad you bent the A to Z rules and used a song title for your "G" post instead of artist's name. :) I'm happy about it because The Temptations are one of my favorite groups. I'm thrilled to know that you went to see them way back in 1973. You must have been in your teens. I get the impression that the Temps put on a great show even though, by that time, the "classic five" lineup had broken apart and replacement members had joined the act. It's cool that you saw the Temps perform on a rotating stage there at Circle Star Theater, and I see that The Staple Singers appeared with them. You also caught The Temps and The Tops in another concert. Thanks for letting me know the reinvented Temptations performed their hits of the 60s and did an admirable job of it. I notice that you didn't list among your favorites any of the hits from their late 60s psychedelic/social awareness period such as "Cloud Nine," "Runaway Child," "Psychedelic Shack," "Don't Let The Joneses Get You Down, "I Can't Get Next To You," "Ball Of Confusion" and "War." Is that because their set did not include those songs, or is it because you don't care as much for songs recorded during that phase of their career? I had forgotten about the 1986 single "Lady Soul," one of the group's last hits on the R&B/Soul chart. Based on the clip, the guys sounded great. I love the collection of pictures you took of the choreography and of the touching finale when the members exited the stage with their arms on each other's shoulders - a nice touch to end the show.

    Have a safe and happy day, dear friend Janet, and I'll see you tomorrow on "H" day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey my friend, I believe that they did perform "Ball of Confusion" and possibly "Psychedelic Shack" but to be honest, I can't remember them all and there was no official set list printed for the show. I'm too busy taking pictures/videos to write down the name of every song - LOL. We were surprised that the Temps were the "opening act" that night because I would have thought they were the bigger name than the Four Tops. I was 18 in '73 :) Have a wonderful day my friend. How's your weather?

      Delete
    2. It's 89 degrees here! I am already missing winter.

      Delete
  2. I love those papers you used which works well with t(wine outfits. Did you ever see the Go-Go’s, Peter Gabriel or Glass Tiger? You have seen so many so just wondering.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!