Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Now in November…

I did okay at the boutique on Sunday, managing to sell enough to cover what I paid to rent the space and then about $55 more. I did not think I was going to have a good day when the first customer picked up one of my cards and asked how much they cost. When I told her the card she was holding was $4.50 she dropped it like a hot potato and said, “Well, okay.” and walked off in a huff. Now I know that my cards are a lot nicer than the ones you can get at the dollar store and I also know that they are a lot cheaper than the ones you get at Hallmark but it is still a little disconcerting to get that kind of reaction on the first encounter of the day. Later on I had a friend come by and she bought two cards but I gave her the friends and family discount so I broke even there. That was my first sale of the day. I sold some more here and there and finally had another friend buy 10 cards. I gave her a discount too but the volume helped.

The day ended about an hour early and the number of shoppers at any one time was sporadic. I think it was because it was at a church and so people would come in after mass. I don’t know how much it was actually promoted because several people I talked to said they hadn’t heard about it until I posted on Facebook and Instagram. As usual, I got some ideas for more things to make. I am seriously lacking items for animal lovers and not quite politically correct since I don’t have any Hanukkah items. I am going to try to rectify that in time for Saturday’s show but I’m not sure if I’ll make it as it is Thanksgiving week and I do have some typing to do.

The display (see my last post about challenges) took me a couple of hours to do. I was trying to make some new arrangements and I just didn’t seem to get it right at first. Finally I decided not to put out some items that I had brought but were out of season like Mother’s Day and Father’s Day and some older mini-albums that were spring-themed. Then I had a little more room on the table. The next show the table is smaller I believe so I’m really going to need to be organized. You can see that even my banner is a little off because by that time people were coming in to shop and I was feeling crunched.

But the big news here is that I LOST MY WEDDING/ENGAGEMENT RING!!! It was soldered to an enhancer and it cracked off somewhere. I can’t believe that I lost it at the boutique because the hole on my finger is so big I’m sure that I’d have noticed it. I use/look at my hands a lot and always look at the ring because I love it so much.

I was hysterical when I noticed it and my husband put his arms around me and told me that it’s just a ring and that it didn’t mean that he was leaving me or that our marriage was over. Of course I knew that but still, when you’ve had something on your hand for almost 40 years! And I still remember the day we went to pick it out so clearly. Like I said, I love it. I put another ring in the center so I won’t have to look at that empty space. I did all the usual, contacted the church, went through all my stuff from the boutique, checked all over the house, retraced my steps from our morning walk because I noticed it when we got home. I mean, really, don’t you think I would have seen that big hole if it had happened on Sunday? For the number of times that I had to reach to show someone a card or explain how the mini-albums work, get a bag, make change, etc. I was using my hands to cut out little embellishments too as I waited for the next customer. Honestly though, I can’t say for sure when the last time I saw it intact. We haven’t talked about replacing it yet. I’m still hoping that St. Anthony, the patron saint of lost things, will help me find it. Appreciate you sending a thought to him for me too!



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.wordpress.com/2021/11/23/now-in-november-11/

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    I'm so sorry you are distraught over losing your ring, dear friend. As I recall, you were having a similar problem a couple of years ago when you and I first got back together in blogland. (You might not recall, but we briefly followed each other a few years before that, too, having met on Michele T's blog.) Anyhow, I really hope you get it back. Maybe somebody will turn it in somewhere. You never know. However, even if you don't have such luck, you and your hubby can always renew your vows and it can be replaced.

    Thanks for reporting about your boutique experience over the weekend. I'm sorry your very first customer hurt your feelings. She must not have been pricing higher quality cards lately - merely looking for the cheapest. As for your table layout, I enjoyed looking it over. I also clicked back and read with interest the various challenges you face regarding the limited space on the table, whether or not to leave out items related to off-seasons, the use of risers, etc. I think you have an attractive display. I hope you can get further organized in time for the next sale, because you will have a smaller table to work with.

    I wish you a good week and a happy Thanksgiving. dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my friend. Yes, I do remember that we briefly followed each other years ago. At that time my ring got mysteriously bent out of shape. That's when I got the new enhancer and had the whole thing soldered together. I was thinking about renewing our vows. If I haven't found the missing piece before May, maybe I'll suggest that to my husband. I think if we wait that long and haven't found it, it isn't going to turn up. It will be our 38th anniversary but we were together for two years before we married so I could count that as 40, right?

      I get the phrase "I can get cards at the dollar store" frequently but usually it is from the little old ladies. This woman was perhaps my age and looked well-dressed but then again you can't always tell from appearances. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving dear Shady. Grateful for your thoughtful appearances here!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!