Search This Blog

Friday, April 1, 2016

A to Z Challenge - 2016

April 1:  A is for...

A Cappella - Italian, meaning "In the manner of the chapel."  Specifically, singing with no musical accompaniment.

In my first blog post on the A to Z challenge, whose theme I have picked as Music, I am here to talk about no music.

One of the groups we have seen several times now is Huey Lewis and the News.  They do a few a cappella songs during their show and one of the best, I think, is "It's Alright."

Huey Lewis at Mountain Winery

You can listen to it here:  https://youtu.be/a3KlXn4Rsh4


It definitely is a change of pace when they break away from the horns and drums and just sing.  Quite simple.  It is not for everyone, for sure.  This is usually the portion of the show where my husband goes out to take a break.  He's not a fan of the a cappella.  

Another group that is strictly a cappella is a group called Straight No Chaser.  I have not seen them perform in person but I've heard they do a really good Christmas show.
  
So, here we go, off to a simple start for my A to Z ramblings.  What do you think of a cappella?  Rather have the drums and horns?  Love to hear your comments.  Be sure to check out some of the other participants in the A to Z challenge.  There are lots of interesting topics being discussed!       




 


13 comments:

  1. Hi Janet...Definitely a Huey Lewis and the News fan both with the instruments and a cappella. Neat that you have been to their concerts. I can't sing my way out of a paper bag, but my sister was an alto in our high school a cappella choir and I always thought it was beautiful...the blending of voices. Great start to the challenge.
    Sue at CollectInTexas Gal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love A Cappella. A friend's son was a Yale Alley Cat and then a member of the Wippenpoofs (maybe spelling it wrong). Such beautiful voices without the any other instruments.
    www.lorihenriksen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alley Cats! What a great name for an A Cappella group! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Love your choice for "A" Janet. Great start to the challenge and look forward to working through the alphabet with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Deborah! It's kinda your fault I'm here!

      Delete
  4. I think acapella is beautiful. I'm tune deaf (but married to a musician, go figure). To hear someone sing without the benefit of the music behind there and to sing well is truly talent!

    thanks for visiting :)

    betty
    http://viewsfrombenches.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have many favourite Acapella groups...And even love the movie Pitch Perfect :) It's brilliant how they can make music with just their vocals.

    Visiting from A to Z Challenge
    Pam's Unconventional Alliance Team
    A Whimsical Medley
    Twinkle Eyed Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice theme. I love Huey Lewis. Ironically enough, my last Battle of the Bands featured Huey Lewis. I just posted the results a few days ago. Who won? You'll have to check it out.
    Stopping over from the AtoZ Road Trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will check out your Battle of the Bands. I've been catching a few others here and there too and find them very fun. We've seen Huey several times and only once were disappointed. Have a great day!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!