Search This Blog

Sunday, April 24, 2016

A to Z Challenge - 2016

T is for Tickets...

Thank goodness for Sundays!  A day to catch up a little.  I have been really busy with work the past few days and have not had time to prepare posts and/or check out any of the other blogs I've started to follow through this A to Z Challenge.  If I'm going to be able to afford the tickets to the concerts we see, I better do my real work first!

Which leads me to today's topic, the search for the Golden Tickets.




  I wrote a post in January about this subject.  In it I describe my concerns and recent frustration with getting tickets to see Adele, which sadly we were unable to do!




















In the "olden days" there were Ticketmaster outlets in the "record shops" and you could get tickets there.  No more record stores means no more outlets.  You can go to the venues directly and wait in line on the days tickets go on sale, but not everyone lives close enough or has the time to do that.  You can try calling Ticketmaster, but in reality, I believe that is just a person in front of a computer the same as I am and they have no special powers to getting good seats.

The whole process of getting tickets can be stressful.  I find myself breaking out in a sweat, mind racing, fingers flying on the keyboard, eyes on the clock, waiting for it to hit 10:00 (that's the time most tickets go on sale around here).  Once I actually get in to the ticket selection part, I have trouble sometimes making a decision...can I get closer if I give these tickets up?  I have learned that they usually start offering the seats in the back first and work their way up to the close seats but if you miss that window or the tickets are popular, the good seats can be gone and you'll get stuck with the upper deck.  Oh the horror!

As I've said before, we have 9 concerts planned for this year, running from May to September.  I have gotten spoiled and I want to sit as close as I can and for the most part I am willing to pay for those good seats.  I do not want the "VIP" or "Fan club" experience so I know it will be hard to get in the first 10 rows most of the time, but I'm willing to pay almost up to $200 a ticket to see someone we really like.  I would have paid more than that to see Adele but wasn't even given the chance!

Because we saw four shows last year at the Mountain Winery, we were given "Loyalty Club" benefits this year which meant that they were having a pre-sale just for people who had done that.  Since the venue itself only holds about 2500 people, our chances for good ticket selection turned out to be great.  We got tickets in the front section for each of the four shows we are seeing there this year and I am particularly excited for the Foreigner concert where we are in the 2nd row!  Since we are seeing four shows this year, our "Loyalty Club" benefits will extend to next year.  Now if we could just get Adele to go there, we might have a chance!

So, that's my T story and I'm sticking to it.  What about you?  Any special tricks to getting good tickets?  Willing to wait in line 30 minutes or more? Love to hear about it.  
 









8 comments:

  1. That's an interesting story about tickets. I normally stand in the crowd waiting or buy beforehand for the next show:)

    https://vishalbheeroo.wordpress.com/2016/04/23/a-to-z-trail-the-trail/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely an endeavor whatever way you go! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I've only been to a few actual concerts. Most of the artists I like appear in clubs, where you just show up and pay at the door. It's a lot less stressful.

    John Holton
    Blogging from A to Z Challenge Co-Host
    The Sound of One Hand Typing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the small venues are definitely the best, but most of the bands we want to see no longer play that kind. We have gone to a few comedy shows at clubs in the city and they were fun too! Thanks again for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. My favourite shows to go see are Musicals. Not so much of a live music fan. I like a seat I can sit in and know no one is going to stand up in front of me :) Because musicals have longer runs it is much easier to get good seats usually as there are multiple days to choose from although the venues hold a good few less people. The best seats I ever got were for a Lion King performance - scored private box! For free. All the best with the rest of the A to Z challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've gone to a few musicals as well. Jersey Boys was a favorite. Sorry to say I am one of the ones who stands up :) Thanks for stoping by!

      Delete
  4. I too love to go to shows and find the ticket buying process stressful and so expensive. There are a few smaller venues near where I am in Maine that I love because it's usually a little easier to get tickets and there really aren't any bad seats. But, obviously, they don't get the big acts. Have fun at your shows!

    @WeekendsinMaine
    Weekends in Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is getting more challenging every year I think, although some are worse than others. Thanks for stopping by my little blog!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!