Search This Blog

Thursday, April 14, 2016

A to Z Challenge - 2016

The letter "L" has to be Lyrics.

Lyrics are words that make up a song, usually consisting of verses and choruses.  That's pretty basic.

Lyrics can be pretty simple and straightforward such as the Beatles classic Love Me Do.

Love, love me do.
You know I love you.
I'll always be true.
So please, love me do. 

Someone to love.
Somebody new.
Someone to love.
Someone like you.

That's about the whole song.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Then there are songs that tell a story and have special meaning for some people.  Leather and Lace by Stevie Nicks and Don Henley is that kind of song for me.

I was doing an art journaling project and one of the first things I had to do was to pick a muse.  I chose Stevie Nicks.  She is one of my all time favorites and a lot of her songs really resonate with me.


Leather and Lace

Stevie sings:

Is love so fragile
And the heart so hollow
Shatter with words
Impossible to follow
You're saying I'm fragile
I try not to be
I search only
For something I can't see.

I have my own life
And I am stronger
Than you know
But I carry this feeling
When you walked into my house
That you won't be walking out the door.
Still, I carry this feeling
When you walked into my house
That you won't be walking out the door.

Lovers forever
Face to face
My city, your mountains
Stay with me, stay
I need you to love me
I need you today.
Give to me your leather
Take from me my lace.
And then Don Henley sings:

You in the moonlight
With your sleepy eyes
Could you ever love a man like me
And you were right, 
When I walked into your house
I knew I'd never want to leave.
Sometimes I'm a strong man
Sometimes cold and scared
And sometimes I cry.
But that time I saw you
I knew with you to light my life
Somehow I'd get by.

Lovers forever
Face to face
My city, your mountains
Stay with me stay
I need to you to love me
I need you today.
Give to me your leather
Take from me 
My lace.

My husband and I are pretty much opposites.  I came from a pretty strict, Italian Catholic household where my parents were together for 40 years, until my dad passed away and we lived in the same town my whole life.  His dad was in the service and he traveled to Germany and the Philippines before his folks divorced.  He likes heavy metal and hard rock and I'm more of a rock and pop kind of girl.  He says he knew the minute he shook my hand for the first time that I was the one for him.  I was dating his brother at the time so I wasn't aware of that.  I'm a city girl, he could live in the mountains.  

And yet, we are a good match.  We've been together, married for almost 32 years, together for two years before that.  I am strong when I need to be and he is sensitive and caring as well.  Sharing, leather and lace, we get by. 

19 comments:

  1. This is a lovely thought-filled post. It's so obvious from what you say here that you two are meant to be together. And leave it to Stevie to have just the right words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ally. You know it is not always easy and we definitely have some ups and downs but it's all worth it in my mind.

      Delete
  2. excellent L word - lyrics and Leather and Lace is perfect. Opposites do work. I can vouch for that. Glad you two are leather and lace. I'm city and my husband is country. Makes Life interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Joanne, sometimes more interesting than I am ready for but I'd rather have interesting than dull. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. When we listen closely to the lyrics we find a lot of meaning. Your post was beautiful and I agree, it sounds as though you and your husband were meant to be.

    Mason
    Alex's Ninja Minion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad used to say there was one person out there for each of us. It took us a couple of tries but we managed to find each other. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on almost 32 years of marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting exploration - lyric writing seems unattainable- but thats not true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It comes easier to some than others I'm sure. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Cool songs with great lyrics. I love them both. And my husband and I are opposites too. Sometimes it works.
    @DoreeWeller from
    Doree Weller’s Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great love story and I love that song. My husband is a city boy and I'm a farm girl. But we both love sports, kids and family. We're opposites in what we read and watch on TV but love is going strong after 34 years.

    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on 34 years! It helps to find the common ground and communication is key as well, in my opinion. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. hi, first time to visit your blog :) love your story, congrats to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LadyLee! Thanks for stopping by. Hope you come back again!

      Delete
  9. Great choice for L. Love the Stevie Nicks song. Great Lyrics. So happy to hear that you and your husband, although opposites, are a great match. My ex and I were opposites: it didn't work for that relationship but we are best friends now. I see him all the time and he was just here cutting tree limbs for me. He does so much for me and I'm so grateful to have him. We could never be in a relationship again but that's okay. What we have now is beautiful. And ironically, neither one of us has connected with anyone else since we broke up back in 2002. We've both had relationships but nothing that has clicked. Interesting huh? Still, I know we could never go back to what we had...We're different people now.
    You can't go wrong with Stevie Nicks as a muse. Love her!

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele! It is nice that you can still be such good friends. It has not always been easy and I am pretty sure that if something were to happen to him/us, I would not look for anyone else. Too much work and at 61, I'm too old to start over!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, i hear that! I truly have no desire to get married. I'm far to independent for commitment... :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!