Search This Blog

Friday, April 22, 2016

A to Z Challenge - 2016





S is for Saxophone...

My favorite instrument are drums.  That beat really gets me moving; however, there is something to be said for the saxophone as well.  By far the biggest saxophone I've ever seen is the one played by Alto Reed (how cool is that for a name of a sax player?) who plays with Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band.  It looks like it is almost as big as he is.


Alto Reed

His sax intro to the song "Turn the Page" is quite haunting.  




A little more lively saxophone performance is that done by Thom Gimbel of Foreigner.  The song "Urgent" is one that really gets my blood flowing, especially that sax part.


Thom Gimbel


Here is a little video I took when we saw them at Mountain Winery a few years ago.



We were lucky to have pretty good seats.  Forgive the shaky camera, it was hard for me not to dance!

My daughter, Rachel, also played the sax in her school band for one year. Here she is marching in a parade in our town.    





Okay.  There's the S-word for the day.  Not many letters left but we are coming to some really tricky ones.  Hope I can make it.

How about you?  Like the sax?



2 comments:

  1. Alto Reed looks like he's playing a bass sax in that picture. Looks bigger than a baritone.

    I'm a blues and jazz fan; of course I like the saxophone! Some of my favorites: Bud Shank, Phil Woods, Paul Desmond, Stan Getz, Eddie Shaw, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Gerry Mulligan, A. C. Reed, Art Pepper, and Walt Parazaider.

    John Holton
    Blogging from A to Z Challenge Co-Host
    The Sound of One Hand Typing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your faves!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!