Search This Blog

Thursday, April 1, 2021

A to Z 2021 – A is for Alcatraz and Alamo Square

We are off to the races here in the 2021 edition of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. As I stated in my theme reveal, my focus this year is on San Francisco, the City By the Bay. There are a ton of facts on Wikipedia if you want to know the complete history but I’m not going to go into all of that here. Instead I’m going to try to showcase a few of the more famous places and also some out of the way places that even I had no idea existed. Some of the letters will include a coloring page from one of the coloring books I got in the San Francisco Chronicle, some will not. All the pictures are ones that I have taken myself. It was not that easy to get something for every letter. Most places start with San Francisco… It was fun tracking down these spots once I found them. Even though I have lived within 10 miles of the City my entire life, so much of it is new to me. I hope you enjoy the journey.

First up is Alcatraz Island. I only know that it was a federal prison but apparently in the beginning it was used as a lighthouse, a fort, a military prison and in 1969 it was held for a year and a half by Native American activists protesting against the disbanding of Native American tribes and taking their land.

While in use as a federal prison, the likes of Al Capone, George “Machine Gun” Kelly, Bumpy Johnson and Robert Franklin Stroud (known as “The Birdman of Alcatraz” were held there. They claim that no prisoner ever escaped from the island although many tried. It really is possible to swim from the island to the shore and there is an Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon that people can compete in, swimming the 1.5 miles to shore. No thanks! That water is COLD.

There have been several movies written about Alcatraz such as “Alcatraz,” “Escape From Alcatraz,” “The Rock,” and “Birdman of Alcatraz.”

In 1986 Alcatraz was dedicated as a Historical Landmark and prior to COVID you could take a tour of the island. They were stopped for a while but as I was getting some of the background info for this post I read that they were going to open up again as of March 15. I have never done the tour and I think it would be pretty neat so it is going on my list. Fortunately I can get the senior discount now too!

“A” also stands for Alamo Square. Alamo Square is one of the residential neighborhoods in San Francisco. There is a park in the square and from that park you can see the famous “Painted Ladies” which are the Victorian houses that are in the opening credits of the TV show, “Full House.”

When I went, there were a lot of people wandering about and I overheard one group say, “So those are the Full House houses, right?” It is definitely an interesting spot to see. Actually, I think the house that they lived in for the show was on a different street, but these were the ones in the opening scenes. I wonder what it would be like to live in a house where people are always taking pictures of it?

So, what do you think? How’s that for a start? Do you remember the show “Full House?” Interested in taking a trip to Alcatraz Island? Ready for “B?”

Disclaimer notice. The coloring book pages are from the inserts the San Francisco Chronicle put out and I mentioned them in my theme reveal so you can go to that to get the info about the artists if you are interested. I did the coloring. Special thanks to my husband who took me in to the City and drove around the block while I got out to take the photos. Parking is not always the easiest and we had a lot of places to see.



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.wordpress.com/2021/04/01/a-to-z-2021-a-is-for-alcatraz-and-alamo-square/

20 comments:

  1. Do I remember Full House? HAVE MERCY, of course I do. HOW RUDE to think I would forget the adorable Tanner Family.

    Off to a great start with Alamo Square and Alcatraz. I visited both, and we took the audio tour, which was very informative. We saw Al Capone's cell and everything. Then the voice on the earphones told us to step out to the terrace where the view to Downtown San Francisco was supposed to be breathtaking - only we saw… nothing! Nothing but fog, that is. The shore was completely invisible. It was like someone had drawn the curtain. It had gotten freezing cold, too. Unforgettable experience.

    https://thethreegerbers.blogspot.com/2021/04/a-z-2021-apple-doesnt-fall-far-from-tree.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tamara, unfortunately the fog does sometimes obscure the beautiful views. I've been lucky with my picture taking so far. Glad you like the start!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Janet!

    Hooray for the A to Z, dear friend! I'm excited to tour the greater S.F. Bay area with you during the Challenge. You are the only friend I ever had that lives in your vicinity and I'm sure I'll learn a lot from you this month. It's interesting that you have spent your life within ten minutes of The Streets of San Francisco (a TV series you probably watched back in the day).

    I should have known that "A" is for Alcatraz. Your pictures send a chill, making me wonder what went on behind the walls of that prison all the years it was in operation. I suppose I'd be willing to take the tour of the abandoned facility, but I'd probably have the irrational fear of being placed behind bars and left there. :) I'd like to go up in that lighthouse, and I read there is a seabird colony on the isle consisting mostly of western gulls, cormorants, and egrets. I'd love to see them. Have you ever watched the 1962 movie Birdman of Alcatraz starring Burt Lancaster? I watched it twice over the years.

    Thanks for telling me about Alamo Square. I wasn't aware of the Victorian houses called “Painted Ladies” and their use in the opening sequence of Full House. Now that I see the pics you took of them, I recognize them from the show. Your anecdote reminds me of the house in Albuquerque used in the TV series Breaking Bad, where the main character, Walter White, threw a pizza pie onto the roof in one episode. Years after the series ended, rowdy fans were still driving past the house and, to the dismay of the actual owners, throwing pizza on their roof!

    Yessum, I loved your first post of the A to Z and I look forward to learning more in "B." It must be fun and exciting to live where you do. Imagine me here in flat Florida where the nearest hill (or snowflake) is in another state! :)

    See you tamale, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shady. I have to remember to come and adjust the pictures after I post on WP because they sometimes transfer to here very large. I can't imagine having pizza thrown on the roof! Wait until you see some of the other places I visit. Talk about hills! Definitely getting my exercise doing this.

      Delete
  3. I saw a view of Alcatraz almost daily during the three years we lived on Treasure Island in military housing. I went on a tour of the island when my parents came to visit. Of course it was a "must" to get a picture of ourselves behind bars there. Fun memories!

    I loved seeing the beautiful homes in San Francisco, especially the Painted Ladies! (That area was usually a "must see" when friends and family visited.)

    Trudy @ Reel Focus
    Movies reflect human needs: Agency

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been fun living on Treasure Island. I went there as a child because a friend of mine had birthday parties at the officer's club since her father had been in the service. I remember playing hide and go seek in the trees! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. I visit SF back in 2004-2005, sailing close to Alcatraz ;) Beautiful city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I am appreciating it more and more as I go through it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. We've visited the East coast of the USA but I'd like to get to the West coast sometime. Not sure how easy that is going to be for a while. The UK is only just beginning to ease restrictions and foreign travel is still not possible to a lot of places and would require quarantining on return. Good start to your A-Z theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, travel really will be touch and go for a while longer I think. I mean, they are requiring proof of vaccination or negative covid test before you go into a baseball game here! We have had both our vaccinations so I feel somewhat safer.

      Delete
  6. I watched Full House with our kids! I've never been to California but would love to travel there one day. When I think of Alamo, I always think of Texas - it is always good to learn new things!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can understand that about Alamo. I am learning new things as I go too!

      Delete
  7. Hi, Janet - What a great A-Z theme. I've been to Alcatraz Island. Fascinating place - thank you for the reminder and the additional details.
    I look forward to reading the further posts that you have in store for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna. I enjoy your hikes too so we are even!

      Delete
  8. I've always wanted to visit Alcatraz. I've been to San Francisco a few times over the years but never spent a great deal of time there or seen too many sites. They were always kind of quick trips. I did manage to cross the Golden Gate Bridge and had some nice meals at Fisherman's Wharf.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Arlee, even though I've lived right here all along, so many things I've never seen. My mom always said SF was a "dangerous place" and I believed her! It's not really!

      Delete
  9. I was never a full House fan but I do know about the Painted Ladies. I was always interested in Alcatraz and knew it was a Fort before becoming a prison. Bordman of Alcatraz is a good movie and so is Escape From Alcatraz. I watch a show about 2 years ago with pretty convincing evidence that the 3 men who escaped actually were successful. I believe they did make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to go on a tour of Alcatraz.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!