Search This Blog

Monday, April 12, 2021

A to Z 2021 – J is for Japantown and the Japanese Tea Garden

I knew about Chinatown but I didn’t realize we had a Japantown in San Francisco as well. I found the Japantown almost by accident as I was driving to a different location and happened to see the big pagoda. I decided to go back and check it out. Turns out it is one of only three Japantowns left in the United States!

The Japantown Peace Plaza was donated by the city of Osaka, Japan, San Francisco’s sister city, in the 1960s. The large statue is an eternal flame monument.

There is another statue at the entrance to the plaza. It has some wonderful carvings depicting the immigration of Japanese to the US.

There are also some areas to sit and enjoy the scenery.

On either side of the plaza are the East and West Malls and across the street is a mall with restaurants and shops. We have eaten at the Benihana there once. It was delicious of course.

You might think that the Japanese Tea Garden is located in Japantown but you’d be wrong.

It is in Golden Gate Park and unfortunately the day I picked to do my exploring was a Sunday and it was very crowded. Plus, I was by myself so I couldn’t even have my husband drop me off and go around the block while I took the pictures, so this is what I got. It does look like the coloring page though.

It is the oldest public Japanese Garden in the United States, built as part of the Worlds Fair SF had in 1894, slightly before my time – LOL.

I’m sorry I don’t have more pictures to show you. You’ll just have to come to SF and check it out! Only $6 for non-resident seniors!

And so we start the second full week of the A to Z. Are you with me so far?

Disclaimer notice. The coloring book pages are from the inserts the San Francisco Chronicle put out and I mentioned them in my theme reveal so you can go to that to get the info about the artists if you are interested. I did the coloring and took the pictures.



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.wordpress.com/2021/04/12/a-to-z-2021-j-is-for-japantown-and-the-japanese-tea-garden/

9 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Happy J-day, dear friend!

    Like you, I wasn't aware there is a Japantown in San Francisco or anywhere else for that matter. I also didn't know until now that yours is one of only three Japantowns left in this country. I also appreciate learning that Osaka, Japan, is SF's sister city. I read the plaque with the history of Japantown, stating that San Francisco is home to the first Japanese-American settlement in the U.S. and that it was once a huge and sprawling community until everything changed after Pearl Harbor, beginning a dark chapter in American history.

    The Eternal Flame Monument in The Japantown Peace Plaza is magnificent and the carvings ornate. Mrs. Shady and I would love to dine at the adjacent Benihana. I love the color scheme on the illustration of Golden State Park's Japanese Tea Garden, and you captured excellent images of the attraction even though you needed to fight large crowds. What a long history the Tea Garden has, dating all the way back to the SF World Fair in 1894!

    Yessum, I'm with you from A to Zinc. :) I'll see you tamale for K-day, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...should read Golden Gate Park. (sorry)

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much my friend! I appreciate the kind words. I visited the tea garden when I was just a girl with my sister and her kids. I could have tried to dig those pictures out but they weren't very good either from what I remember. I am hoping that K will surprise you!

      Delete
  2. Even though we lived in SF area for three years, I didn't know about Japantown until we visited there in 2009. So much to explore in that city!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not kidding! I am finding so many cool places on this little journey.

      Delete
  3. I'd love to see Japantown, especially the gardens, if I ever visit SF.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this history and the Japanese were so mistreated during the war. I am glad to see that pagoda and the beautiful relief sculptures. The Tea place looks very familiar to me as I probably have seen this in a movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there was actually a Japanese internment center in our town. Sad.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!