Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 7, 2021

A to Z 2021 – F is for Fisherman’s Wharf and the Ferry Building

Getting a late start today on my “F” post because I went with my husband and we got him a new truck. I had promised him one for Christmas and he never took me up on it. Yesterday was his birthday and I found one I thought he might like so we went and looked at it. Sure enough he liked it, but you know it takes forever in the dealership so here I am at 7 PM writing my post for the day. Fortunately tomorrow’s can be written tonight as well so I won’t be behind. It also doesn’t help that I waited until the last minute to take some of these pictures. I was doing that this morning before we went truck shopping.

And so, without further ado, “F” is for the Ferry Building. The Ferry Building is located on the Embarcadero that I talked about yesterday.

The Ferry building is the terminal for the ferries that cross the Bay. It also houses offices on the second floor and a marketplace. It was built in 1989 and the clock tower itself is 245 feet tall! There are four clock faces, each 22 feet wide that still chime every full and half hour. I have never been inside the Ferry building but In researching it, there are a lot of different activities going on including a Farmer’s Market and there are spaces available to rent for special events. Imagine having a wedding reception at the Ferry Building?

At the other end of the Embarcadero is Fisherman’s Wharf. This is really one of the main tourist attractions and I was so glad I was able to get there in the morning before the hustle and bustle. I could find parking, get out and take my pictures and then get back in the car in less than 15 minutes! During the weekend and summertime that would have been impossible.

At the Wharf are great restaurants and little outdoor places you can get seafood and then take a walk along the piers. You can also rent a trip on the Red and White Fleet or Blue and Gold Fleet that have boat trips around the bay. The Blue and Gold Fleet has an “Escape from the Rock” tour that takes you to Alcatraz. The Red and White Fleet has a “Bridge to Bridge Sunset Cruise” that looks like it might be a romantic experience.

Across the street from the Wharf are some really neat attractions. Ripley’s Believe It Or Not is one.

And Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum. I have been inside but not for a VERY long time – like maybe 30 years!

At one time there was something called “The San Francisco Experience” that took you through the history of San Francisco. They have turned that into The Dungeons:

I love an adventure so that might be fun to see too, if these things can reopen safely. All this traveling around the city has made me want see a lot of these places in more detail. I will still have the advantage of being able to go in the middle of the week so I shouldn’t hit many crowds. I promise if I do I’ll take more pictures and let you know. If you go before I do, make sure you post your pictures and let me know!

Okay. Tomorrow is the big “G,” any guesses?



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.wordpress.com/2021/04/07/a-to-z-2021-f-is-for-fishermans-wharf-and-the-ferry-building/

10 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Yessum, this old guy couldn't stay up waiting any longer for your "F" post because I had been up and working since 2 am your time. When it got to be 10 pm my time I was tired and needed to shut down for the night and go to bed. I am happy to see you got your F-day post published. Happy birthday to your hubby. I hope he's liking his new truck.

    Thanks for showing and telling about the Ferry Building. It must be awesome to view those huge clock faces on the tall tower and hear the chimes ring every half hour. Looks are deceiving. It doesn't appear to be the kind of building that would house a Farmer’s Market or have meeting halls that accommodate large groups for special events.

    I have often heard of Fisherman’s Wharf and wish I could visit that city landmark. You're right You arrived early enough to take pics and it looks like hardly anyone was around. Mrs. Shady and I love seafood, love to dine at the water's edge and enjoy boat cruises. The “Bridge to Bridge Sunset Cruise” sounds exciting and romantic. I'd also enjoy going in Ripley's and Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum. The S.F. Dungeon and it's sign urging you to "live and breathe SF's darkest history" seems like my kind of experience.

    Yessum, I predict tomorrow (today) you will present the GG Bridge! :) Have a wonderful day, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got your rest instead of staying up all night to wait for my post, LOL. Today's is earlier, although still kind of late. I had the hubby take me in his new truck to get some more pictures for upcoming letters. Little by little. The cruises really do sound great - maybe for our anniversary in May!

      Delete
  2. Yesterday I was mentally trying to guess where you might take us for the letter F... DUH! I can't believe I didn't think of Fisherman's Wharf. Every time we had guests while living in the area, going to Fisherman's Wharf was always a request. We didn't mind going there numerous times, because there was always something interesting to see.

    When we returned to SF for a visit in 2009, we rented a tandem bike at Fisherman's Wharf, and rode to a place that I imagine will be included in your letter G post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that people are trying to guess my next posts. I hope that occasionally I can provide some surprises. There are new things to rent now called "Go Cars" and they are two-seaters kind of like go-carts but a little nicer, that you can rent to take different tours of the city. They have iPads to help navigate. That's also going on my list.

      Delete
  3. Fun places! Do they still have the aquarium there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got this in under the wire and that’s fine since I am late here in commenting. That one building looks Art Deco inspired and would love to walk along not the wharf but would hate the crowds to be honest. I wonder how good that was museum is. We have one in Niagara Falls, a Madam Toussaud” and some of the wax figures were quite off the mark but still entertaining to see. I do like Ripley’s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been in a VERY long time but when I went, I was impressed with the wax figures. I'm sure they have some new ones now. It can get very crowded along the wharf so I am glad that I can go in the middle of the week instead of the busier weekends.

      Delete
  5. Playing catch up on your posts here Janet. If I ever get to San Francisco I'll be checking back here for ideas on where to go and what to see. Madam Toussaud gets about a bit lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy! I have a lot of catch up blog visiting to do too. I got some typing work in and that has to come first. Yes, Madam Toussaud has quite a few museums doesn't she?

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!