Search This Blog

Monday, April 5, 2021

A to Z 2021 – D is for Dragon Gate and Dolores Park

When I was searching for things to fill the letters for my A to Z Challenge this year, I opened Google Maps of San Francisco and searched for a few of the places that I knew of off the top of my head. As I enlarged the map all kinds of things started popping up and one of them was Dragon Gate. I thought that would make a terrific “D.”

Dragon gate is the south facing gate marking the entrance to Chinatown in San Francisco. It was built in 1969 and dedicated in 1970. There are three portals, an east and west portal for pedestrians and then a middle portal for cars. It is one of the most photographed parts of Chinatown and I can see why.

Once again, this was just a drive by but I think you can get the feel of it.

The other “D” I have for today is Dolores Park.

Named after nearby Mission Dolores and sitting on land that was once a Jewish cemetery, Dolores Park is almost 16 acres of open space with lots of beautiful palm trees, 6 tennis courts, a basketball court, a playground and two off-leash dog areas, among other things. The park was bought by the City in 1905 and in 1906 was used as a refugee spot for 1,600 people dislocated after the earthquake. It is also used for rallies and other public gatherings.

During part of last year, in an effort to encourage social distancing, large 6-foot circles were painted onto the grass so you could continue to enjoy the area but be socially distant. There was no evidence of those circles when I went by today. However, there was a lot of graffiti on the walls surrounding the area, that’s why I didn’t take any pictures of the pathway to the park.

There is a statue of Miguel Hidalgo, the father of Mexican Independence. Unfortunately, someone had painted all over that as well.

It is sad to see things like this. There was a very friendly worker from the Parks and Rec department who was watering the plants around the statue and she said that someone would be coming by to clean it. I was particularly taken by this woman as she had a pleasant thing to say to everyone who passed by her.

As you can tell the coloring page is not finished but I decided I could either color or write the post. Writing the post won! I just took the pictures this morning too! I was marginally prepared for this A to Z. Hope you are enjoying and will come back tomorrow for “E.”

Disclaimer notice. The coloring book pages are from the inserts the San Francisco Chronicle put out and I mentioned them in my theme reveal so you can go to that to get the info about the artists if you are interested. I did the coloring and took the pictures.



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.wordpress.com/2021/04/05/a-to-z-2021-d-is-for-dragon-gate-and-dolores-park/

10 comments:

  1. I've been to Dragon Gate, but I don't think I ever visited Dolores Park (unless I've forgotten).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so pretty. The day was overcast but I bet on a sunny day the view is pretty.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Janet!

    I envy you living where you do in close proximity to all these neat places in Frisco and around the Bay area. I can picture Mr. & Mrs. Shady passing through Dragon Gate on foot and spending the day exploring Chinatown.

    Thanks for the history lesson and excellent pictures of the spacious Dolores Park. It is indeed a shame that graffiti artists and vandals saw fit to deface the magnificent statue of Hidalgo and other parts of the lovely park, tarnishing the visiting experience for countless citizens and tourists. Your coloring page popped. I thought it was intended to look as it does with some parts accented in color and the rest left uncolored. As long as you are having fun and gaining fulfillment from this exercise, don't give unfinished portions another thought. Taking pictures the same day they are to be published in a post is the kind of challenge that keeps you on your toes. You probably had the same feeling I had every day at work when I needed to write and produce a half hour television newscast practically from scratch and it absolutely had to be ready to run at the designated time. It kept the adrenaline pumping.

    Have a good evening and I'll be "E-ing" you tamale, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Fortunately (or unfortunately) I don't have much "work" right now so I can take that extra hour on the way home from dropping our son off at work in SF to take some pictures. Tomorrow I'll be heading for the "E" spot. The good thing also is that if I have to limit it to one thing instead of two, I think I have at least one for every letter. Tomorrow's does not have a coloring page so I'm good there. Thanks for stopping by my friend. I so appreciate your visits!

      Delete
  3. I know that famous gate but I didn’t know it was built so recent. One of my favourite films is What’s Up Doc with Barbra Streisand and Ryan O’Neil- a classic homage to the screwball comedies of the 1930s which culminates in a great car chase part of which took place here. It was filmed soon after the gate was built..I never knew that. The park looks so nice but I hope the people who were in the cemetery were relocated. I wonder if it is haunted? I just don’t understand this vandalism. I don’t know enough about this man but even the confederate men..I would not have defaced it but just take it away. I think it is time we should study what Singapore does because they do not have this issue and yes, I know they cane people for stuff like this....maybe not such a bad thing. I know, shoot me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Birgit. I remember the name of that movie but can't remember seeing it. I agree that some kind of punishment would be in order. Perhaps making them clean it!

      Delete
  4. Janet,

    Great photo op of Dragon Gate! Were parks open last year? It seems in our area they were closed and I think even now they remain so. It's really spooky to drive by these once bustling places to see the playground empty of kids. It'll be nice when things resume to normal again.

    If you haven’t already, I invite you to check out my Looney Tunes A-Z Daffy Duck Art Sketch. Join the fun at your leisure. Happy A2Zing, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parks were closed for a while but things are starting to open up more now.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!