Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 27, 2021

A to Z 2021 – W is for Windmill and the Walt Disney Museum

When we were visiting the Queen Wilhelmina Tulip Garden the other day I purposely did not show you the picture of the windmill that is there because I was a saving it for my “W” post. There are actually two windmills in Golden Gate Park, both around the beach.

The windmill by the tulip garden is the Dutch Windmill which was completed in 1903 and the one a little farther down the road is the Murphy Windmill, completed in 1908. The windmills were installed to be used as irrigation pumps to pump ground water for the park rather than buying it from the water company.

Both windmills are very impressive and continue to be functional. In the past at the end of April there has been a huge Dutch celebration called Kings Day, celebrating the Dutch King’s birthday. It was cancelled last year due to the pandemic and I can’t find anything about it for this year, although I’m pretty sure it would have been held last weekend if it was going to occur.

When we were at the Presidio, I saw the Walt Disney Family Museum. It was closed but you can take the tour if you schedule a time. Admission is free for retired and active military personnel and their families.

Opened in 2009 it is owned and operated as a non-profit by the Walt Disney Family and is not formally associated with the Disney Corporation. There are no rides at the museum but there is a lot of history and interesting things to see. There is also a theater which screens Disney movies daily.

Kind of short post today but at least I made it! Down to the last 3!



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.wordpress.com/2021/04/27/a-to-z-2021-w-is-for-windmill-and-the-walt-disney-museum/

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Happy W-day, dear friend! How's Benny?

    Your coloring book illustration of the Murphy Windmill is lovely. Windmills have always fascinated me. It's interesting to learn that SF boasts two of them, both dating back to the beginning of the 20th century. I'd love to visit the Dutch Windmill at the Tulip Garden - two of my favorite things in the same location. The city's windmills are a sight to behold, visible, I trust, from quite a distance. It's a shame the pandemic has forced cancellation of the Dutch Kings Day celebration two years in a row. I live relatively close to Disney World and have visited the park several times beginning in 1976. I'd be curious to know what all is on display in the Disney Family Museum.

    I hope your day is going well. I'll be back tomorrow to solve the mystery behind your X-day expose'. See you then, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Shady! On display at the museum are family photos as well as the awards that Disney has won among other things. I can imagine the area by the windmills would be bustling on the Kings Day celebration. Maybe by next year they will be able to hold another one. I hope I can share something Xciting tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. I love windmills, especially if they are near tulip gardens! I thought I had a picture of one of the windmills at Golden Gate park, but I just checked the photos I took while visiting there and I don't have one after all. I guess I took a mental picture that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mental pictures are just as good! They are pretty neat.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!