Search This Blog

Saturday, April 17, 2021

A to Z 2021 – O is for Ocean Beach and the Orpheum Theater

Ah, the ocean. Being a Pisces, it really is one of my happy places and I am ashamed to say that I don’t get there as often as I could. For a while during the pandemic even the parking lots were closed so you couldn’t even stay in your car to watch the waves or the sunset.

Ocean Beach is a great spot to go to if you want to see the Pacific Ocean.

It is across the street from the end of Golden Gate Park and when I was young there was a small amusement park nearby, Playland at the Beach. Sadly that closed in 1972. Up the street is what used to be the famous Cliff House, which also sadly closed this year due to the pandemic and leasing issues.

The view from the Cliff House dining room. These rocks are usually full of seals.

I can sit for hours looking at the waves crashing against the shore and watching the sun set.

And here’s a quick video. Posting these pictures makes me want to go back to the beach this weekend!

“O” is also for the Orpheum Theater. This is one of the easiest venues for us to get to because it is right across the street from the BART station. We saw a few shows there, one of which was Rain, the Beatles Tribute.

The theater only sits about 2000 people so most every seat is a good one. I went on the website while researching for this and I see that they are starting to open up again. There is a new play about the Temptations called “Ain’t Too Proud” that looks like it might be good. I think I’ll keep my eyes on that for sure.

Second full week of the A to Z done! Have a nice weekend. See you Monday for “P.”



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.wordpress.com/2021/04/17/a-to-z-2021-o-is-for-ocean-beach-and-the-orpheum-theater/

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Happy O-day, dear friend!

    Thanks for showing us Ocean Beach and the Orpheum Theater. It's a shame the old amusement park you enjoyed visiting in your youth closed nearly 50 years ago and the doors of the historic Cliff House were forced shut by the pandemic. Over the years some of my favorite moments have been spent relaxing by the water's edge at sunset. The first half of my life I only visited Atlantic Ocean shore points. It wasn't until I moved to Florida's Gulf Coast in 1984 that I was able to appreciate for the first time the beauty of the sun setting over the water. The pictures you took of the Pacific Ocean waves at sunset are glorious, and I enjoyed your video. The sound of those waves crashing ashore make me want to get out there and spend a few hours body surfing, one of my favorite activities throughout my childhood and teenage years. I envy you being able to soak your tootsies in that invigorating salt water, and I don't blame you for wanting to return to that natural setting soon, perhaps this very weekend. Is there a stretch of beach where you could let Benny run without a leash?

    The facade of the Orpheum is stately. Lucky you for having an easy to reach venue of this type to attend shows like Rain, the Beatles Tribute and the upcoming Temps play. I hope you get to see it and file a report at Janet's Smiles.

    Thanks for another excellent, educational post, dear friend Janet. Have a nice Sunday and I'll be back to see your "P" post on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are in fact some spots where I could let Benny run free. My son has taken him but the day we tried it was too windy and cold. You know I will most definitely talk about the play if we get a chance to see it. I wonder if the Atlantic Ocean is much different than the Pacific? I have never tried body surfing. Although I love swimming, I'm not sure I want to try that! The pull of the tide at Ocean Beach is quite strong.

      Delete
  2. It’s so sad when a historic amusement park disappears and what a shame about that restaurant but I hope someone take it over and reopens it. The sunset 🌇 over the ocean looks so calming. How did I get a picture in that sentence??. Anyway I would love to see that theatre because it was originally a movie house. So many of these theatres were built from the late teens into the late 1920s with one of the last movie house being Radio City Music Hall in NYC. I love these old picture palaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you using your phone to reply? That may be how you got the picture. I love the sunsets on the beach and the theater is really cool inside. Maybe next time I'll take some pictures before the show starts!

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos of the ocean, very beautiful place here. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the ocean! Those pictures are beautiful. So glad you shared them... just looking at the photos felt calming (it's been a rough day).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that but glad I could help.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!