Search This Blog

Friday, April 23, 2021

A to Z 2021 – T is for Transamerica Building and Theaters

I kind of feel sorry for the Transamerica Building. Built in 1972, it was the tallest, most distinctive building with its pyramid shape until the Salesforce Tower topped it in 2018.

It is no longer owned by the Transamerica Corporation, having been sold in 2020 to a New York investor. Still, it is definitely an impressive building in the middle of downtown. There are four cameras at the top of the spire that make up the “Transamerica Virtual Observation Deck” that can be controlled from the lobby by visitors. How cool is that? There is also a 1/2 acre park around the base that has redwood trees which were brought in from Santa Cruz mountains.

As you can see, from certain vantage points, it still looks like the tallest. During the Christmas holidays and on the 4th of July there is a star that is lit at the top of the spire.

I know I talked about the Orpheum Theater in the letter “O” but I think that Theaters deserve a bit more attention. There are many spread out over the city. One is the Curran Theater, where we saw Jersey Boys 4 times, and Rock of Ages. My daughter was going to take me to see the Harry Potter play last year for my birthday in March but we all know what happened instead.

And right next door to that is the Geary Theater, which I have not been to but which is home to the American Conservatory Theater and looks very cool from the outside.

There is also the Golden Gate Theater at which I saw Hairspray and/or Mamma Mia. It is so old, there are no elevators so you definitely have to be able to walk some stairs if you are sitting in the balcony!

Stately Louise M. Davies Symphony Hall and the War Memorial Opera House along with Herbst Theater are all in a row across from the City Hall. Unfortunately there has been constant construction going on all up and down Van Ness Street. It has been really hard for me to get good pictures.

I wrote about the Palace of Fine Arts during my A to Z last year.

The Great American Music Hall is right around the corner from my son’s work. It only holds 470 people so I would imagine that any seat is a good one. I have not been there before.

And right next door to the Great American Music Hall is the famous Mitchell Brothers O’Farrell Theater. I guess you can tell from the marquee what kind of things go on in here!

I have not been to that establishment either, just in case you were wondering. All of the theaters are still closed but I am hoping that they will be able to start having some performances again this year.

One more letter this week and then we have a day of rest.

Disclaimer notice. The coloring book pages are from the inserts the San Francisco Chronicle put out and I mentioned them in my theme reveal so you can go to that to get the info about the artists if you are interested. I did the coloring and took the pictures.



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.wordpress.com/2021/04/23/a-to-z-2021-t-is-for-transamerica-building-and-theaters/

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Looks like you had no difficulty coming up with material for T-day, dear friend. I hope it's been a happy one for you so far.

    Yessum, it seems like a great idea to have a virtual remote controlled observation deck at the Transamerica Building, plus the structure is encircled by a park with redwoods. Throughout this series of yours, I have been impressed with SF's determination to set aside space for parks, natural beauty and art to break up the monotony of concrete and steel. Seems no matter where you go in the city a lovely oasis is always in sight.

    I am not surprised that you chose to discuss SF's many theaters. You are lucky to have seen Jersey Boys four times at the Curran. I'm sorry that the plague deep-sixed your daughter's plans to take you to the Harry Potter play for your b-day last March. The Geary Theater looks magnificent. I hope you soon have a chance to see it on the inside and maybe take pics if that is allowed. I suppose you're saying there is no way to retro fit an elevator at the Golden Gate Theater without ruining the aesthetic of the old venue. It is a shame there's constant construction going on where the Symphony Hall, Opera House and Herbst Theater are lined up across from City Hall. I'm going to say "temporary inconvenience - permanent improvement" in hopes that the block will look awesome when the work has finally been completed. Mrs. Shady and I would surely like to visit the Palace of Fine Arts. She attended art school in Baltimore and is quite a good artist. We have some of her Victorian portraiture on the walls of our home. I read that the Palace of Fine Arts was (according to Wiki) << conceived to evoke a decaying ruin of ancient Rome >> and thereby << became one of San Francisco's most recognizable landmarks. >> I suspect many big name music acts go out of there way to book the Great American Music Hall because of its limited seating capacity which results in greater intimacy and interaction with the audience. I'm thinking Shady D.K. might enjoy spending some quality time in the Mitchell Brothers O’Farrell Theater. :)

    I hope the doors of these theaters soon swing open so that you and your hubby can attend the shows you love. Enjoy the rest of your day, dear friend Janet.
    I'll be back tamale to check out your post for U-day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear friend. I am really crossing fingers that since the stadiums are opening up for fans, theaters will be next. I'm vaccinated so I'm ready, I just hope that they don't raise prices too much to try to recoup their losses from last year! U is done and I have no problems with the rest of the letters, thank goodness.

      Delete
  2. I love looking at all these pictures. It's been fun to learn so much about San Francisco. We used to go visit when I was younger, but I haven't been back as an adult. I'd really love to, once all this is over. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I've lived so close all my life, I am enjoying getting around town too! I am thankful I can do it in the early morning and on weekdays when there are not too many people around. The construction going on all over is a killer though, because streets are closed and there are many detours. Thank goodness for GPS!

      Delete
  3. I didn't know about the virtual observation deck at the Transamerica building! That sounds awesome!

    We never did attend any of the theaters while living in the area. Not sure why, especially since we were both working and didn't have children yet. Seems like we could have sprung for tickets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were probably not as expensive either. I'm afraid that the prices will be high now as they try to recoup losses from last year.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!