Search This Blog

Saturday, April 10, 2021

A to Z 2021 – I is for Ina Coolbrith Park and Immigrant Point Overlook

Who is Ina Coolbrith and why does she have a park named after her? Turns out she is a poet. In fact, the first California Poet Laureate. She has a very interesting history, which you can read here. It took me several tries to get some pictures of the park in San Francisco that is named after her but it was definitely worth it. It is on one of those hills I mentioned yesterday, Russian Hill. I finally found some parking toward the bottom of the hill and walked up to the top.

It doesn’t look like much at first but once you get around the path the whole city is visible.

Standing at the top you can see the city skyline with the Bay Bridge to the right, Coit Tower slightly to the left and then Alcatraz Island on the far left. I envy the people who live in this area and can get a view of the sunrise every morning. It must be spectacular.

There are some benches to sit on and several other paths to walk down. I have to go back (sound familiar?) because I didn’t go any farther than the first level. It is on a pretty steep slope and I could see that there was another bench to sit on at the next level.

I didn’t see any signs at the top so it’s another one of those places that you wouldn’t know was there unless you were looking for it. So peaceful and pretty. Very well kept.

I was going to use International Airport for another “I” but then I found something even better. Immigrant Point Overlook. I said to my husband, “Hey hon, how’d you like to go for a ride in your new truck and take me to a couple of places in the city so I can take some pictures?” It worked! While he drove, I had the owners manual out so if he had any questions about the truck settings I could answer them. Aren’t I helpful?

Immigrant Point Overlook is a spot on the coast where you can see for miles. There is a picnic area across the street and there is a trail you can go down but I found the best view was right on the edge. You can see the boats coming in from the Pacific Ocean.

There is a wall with an inscription from President Woodrow Wilson:

“We opened the gates to all the world and said, ‘Let all men who want to be free come to us and they will be welcome.'” Here’s a video I took of that and the view.

So you can start the day with sunrise at Ina Coolbrith Park and end the day with a sunset at Immigrant Point Overlook. In between head down the Embarcadero to Fisherman’s Wharf and Ghirardelli Square with maybe some lunch or dinner at Chinatown. Doesn’t it make you want to come to SF?

Whew, one full week of the A to Z done! (I was able to do a whole recap in this post, did you catch that?) We are going to the Giants game today. Have to have proof of vaccination or negative test within 72 hours to get in and they are only filling to 22% capacity so I feel pretty safe. Sunday I plan to visit as many new (to me) bloggers as I can. Have a great rest of your weekend!



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.wordpress.com/2021/04/10/a-to-z-2021-i-is-for-ina-coolbrith-park-and-immigrant-point-overlook/

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Happy I-day, dear friend!


    Wow, you need to climb a flight of stairs or a walkway up a hill or both for practically every letter of the alphabet, don't you? You are getting your exercise this month. Thanks for showing me around Ina Coolbrith Park. It does indeed afford a splendid panoramic view of the city. It's neat to see from a distance some of the landmarks you covered in previous posts. As I gaze down from that high elevation at Alcatraz Island, I am reminded of the feats of strength and endurance fitness guru Jack LaLanne performed (or claimed to have performed) in the Bay area:

    * 1954 (age 40) – Swam the entire 8,981-foot (1.7 mi; 2.7 km) length of the Golden Gate in San Francisco, under water, with 140 lb (64 kg; 10 st) of air tanks and other equipment strapped to his body; a world record.

    * 1955 (age 41) – Swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco while handcuffed.

    * 1957 (age 43) – Swam the Golden Gate channel while towing a 2,500 lb (1,130 kg; 180 st) cabin cruiser. The swift ocean currents turned this one-mile (1.6 km) swim into a swimming distance of 6.5 miles (10.5 km).

    * 1958 (age 44) – Maneuvered a paddleboard nonstop from Farallon Islands to the San Francisco shore. The 30-mile (48 km) trip took 9.5 hours.

    * 1974 (age 60) – For the second time, he swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman's Wharf. Again, he was handcuffed, but this time he was also shackled and towed a 1,000 lb (450 kg; 71 st) boat.

    * 1975 (age 61) – Repeating his performance of 21 years earlier, he again swam the entire length of the Golden Gate Bridge, underwater and handcuffed, but this time he was shackled and towed a 1,000 lb (450 kg; 71 st) boat.

    Yessum, the sunrises must be spectacular from Ina C. Park and the sunsets equally dramatic from your other "I" location - Immigrant Point Overlook. I'd love to linger there and watch the boats come in. Your pictures are great, but the video you recorded really shows how spectacular the view is from there. Yessum, all this beauty and all of these points of interest make me want to visit the city by the bay, and there are still many letters left in the A to Z.

    I hope you guys have fun at the Giants game. As Karl Malden might have said: "The Proof of Vaccination Card - Don't leave home without it." :)

    Have a wonderful weekend and I'll see you Monday, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shady! The game was great, we won! I felt very safe as far as the pandemic goes. There was no one else in the whole row except us. They are taking lots of precautions. I remember watching Jack LaLanne and even did some exercising with him in the mornings with my mom. Amazing the things he did. I have some more heights to visit coming up, but also some things on the ground too. Thanks for visiting. Have a great rest of your weekend

      Delete
  2. One can get a lot of exercise walking this city. I am liking this park and all the beautiful views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I'm not sure I could do too many of the hills though. I'd have to take them one at a time!

      Delete
  3. That's great your husband drove you around so you could take some pictures for today's post. Congrats on finishing a week of posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie. I am very grateful for my husband's assistance. It makes for a nice little "date" for us too.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!