Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Observations in October - 2018 - #31Things - Technology

Technology is another one of those things I have a love/hate relationship with.  I consider myself pretty tech savvy although I know there are a lot of things I don't know how to do.  The reason I love my Mac is because it is so user friendly.  I can easily program my iPhone and update my computers but when it comes to helping my husband with his Android and Lenovo laptop I have some problems.   

In my working world, I know that a big portion of the reason my transcription work is declining is that the increased availability of programs like Dragon Dictate make it easier for the doctors to do their own dictation, thereby eliminating the need for people like me.  The younger doctors are easier to adapt to using tablets and laptops and the hospitals and physician networks are installing that equipment in their offices to assist with that.

On the other hand, through technology I am still able to do transcription work from home because I am able to get password protected audio files through email and send the completed reports back to the client, also through password protected email.  With this system I was able to do my work when we were out of town visiting the in-laws in Oregon.  It was very helpful.

In the craft world, people are able to send cards and invitations online so there are less physical cards being sent.  Yet, I am able to sell my handmade cards and things through my online Etsy shop

My latest batch of cards

We all know about cellphones and smartphones and texting and the like and I must admit that I have returned home to get my cellphone if I find I have left home without it.  I consider it now more of a safety feature, either for me to use if I am in trouble (flat tire, etc.) or if the hubby or kids need me.  I know that I never had one when I was younger but then again, there were pay phones around so all I needed was a quarter and I could get in touch with my parents if I needed to.  When was the last time you saw a working version of this?


Even education is enhanced now with the multitude of online classes you can take and own to use whenever you have time.  I remember when my kids were going through elementary school I resisted the dreaded "Internet" at all costs.  I was outraged that the school wanted the kids to "look it up online" rather than going to the library to get an encyclopedia.  By the time my youngest was a senior in high school, having her own laptop was practically on the supply list!  

I know I have benefitted from some online classes myself and the CreativeLive courses I have taken were really good.  Some I bought when they were on sale so I could go back and watch them again but a lot of them I have just taken the free version and it has still helped out a lot.  Many of the bloggers that I follow I know are writers and some participate in the NaNoWriMo challenge.  For those of you who are or want to be, CreativeLive is having a free prep week from 10/22 to 10/26/18.  I am an affiliate of CreativeLive so here is a link to those if you are interested.  They have a lot of classes in photography and money/life matters in addition to crafting as well.   

  



Where do you fall on the technology spectrum?  Love?  Hate?  A little of both like me?  Tell!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!