Search This Blog

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Blogging From A to Z - 2018 - G is for


Welcome to the letter G in the A to Z Challenge for 2018.  This year I am A to Z-ing through Michaels Arts and Crafts store.  G is the letter of the day.

Gotta be for glitter, glitter, glitter!


Glitter is such a big deal it gets its own banner!  Glitter can be found in a couple of areas in Michaels.  First pictured is the General Crafts area.  Here you can find tons of different colors and types of glitter, from big chunks to fine crystals.

In multicolor packets,

tubes


long containers,


and big jars.  Creatology and Artminds are the brands here. 



The next area that has a selection of glitter is the scrapbooking section (my personal favorite).


 So many cool collections and colors!




Aren't the colors so vibrant?  There is chunky glitter, fine glitter, regular glitter and microbead types and even some designer glitter.  Bet you didn't know there was a glitter designer - LOL.  Recollections is the "house brand."


Heidi Swapp designer glitter

Extra fine glitter

chunky glitter

microbeads
They are packaged similarly but you can tell from the prices that the glitter in the scrapbooking section is significantly higher priced.  Maybe that's the reason I never wanted to let my kids play with my scrapbooking supplies!

Another two-for today.  The other big G of Michaels is glue (gotta have something to stick that glitter down with, right?)  One whole aisle devoted to glues and adhesives of all types.


There's a handy glue guide so you can find the right product for your needs.  


Even Gorilla Glue (although that's not really necessary to hold glitter in place).



There are tools for spreading glue - brushes and brayers.  


Mod podge and sealers as well. 


Tacky glue, foam glue, wood glue.


Old fashioned Elmers glue and even spray adhesive. 



The scrapbook area has its glue too since you need acid free glue to protect your memories.  These are tape runners and glue dots.




And then of course there is...



Glitter glue, the best of both worlds!




Gee there's a lot of glitter and glue!

Do you use glitter for projects?  Let your kids play with your expensive craft items?  Love to hear about it.  Be sure to stop by the rest of the A to Z-ers.  We made it through the first week so tomorrow is a day of rest.  Come back Monday for the letter H.

(Note:  I decided I should add a disclaimer to these posts because I certainly don't want to give the idea that I am being paid by Michaels to do this or that they are furnishing me with material.  All pictures used in this blog series were taken by me at local Michaels stores, or are my personal pictures and every Michaels store may not have everything shown.)

13 comments:

  1. Who'da thunk there'd be that many kinds of glitter? I think there was just the one kind ofglitter back when we were kids. Now I wouldn't know where to start. Not that glitter has ever been that high on my list of priorities, mind you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL John I think everyone needs a little glitter in their life! There are tons of types and, as I mentioned, some of them are very expensive! Thanks for taking time to stop by!

      Delete
  2. Wow - that IS a lot of glitter. I would hope there's never a shelving fail in that aisle! While a light dusting of glitter provides all my sparkle requirements, I do confess that I'm enamored of vintage German glass glitter. Lovely, lovely, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd hate to be the one to have to clean up that glitter mess! Hard enough to get it off my craft area!



      Delete
  3. Goodness gracious there's gobs and gobs of glitter and glue! Awesome! One year I made my own Christmas cards and put glitter on them (with the help of the kids). We found glitter around the house for weeks.

    Question about glue: What glue would you recommend for gluing a completed jigsaw puzzle we want to keep? I experimented with a special puzzle glue I bought at a local craft store (NOT Michaels). It made the puzzle curl up. So then I tried Elmer's school glue on the next one but it made it look dull. Any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Trudy. That glitter stuff can set up residence can't it? Did you try Mod Podge? I think I would use a spray adhesive to stick it to a background board and then use Mod Podge over the top. They make a special Puzzle Saver formula and if you can't find that, get the glossy, not the matte finish. I'm no expert but that's what I would try.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I had wondered about Mod Podge, too, so I will try that next. We have a beautiful puzzle of a coastal town in Italy we want to frame, but I don't want to glue it until I've found something that works nicely. So in the meantime I experiment on other jigsaw puzzles. Mod Podge will be my next experiment, and hopefully it will be the winner!

      Delete
  4. Ah, glitter. The substance that never vanishes, no matter how long someone cleans. LOL. The acorns of the craft store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is hilarious. I'm sending your blog to my sister. She lives at Michaels. At Christmas the floor is covered in glitter from all the floral picks and decorations. We always leave there with glitter on our face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please feel free to share with anyone you like! Sometimes the glitter would get into the scanners and it would make the registers go wonky. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Glitter makes everyone smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except the person who has to clean it all up :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!