Search This Blog

Thursday, February 3, 2022

Featured in February – 2022

One of the reasons I wanted to do the challenge from Sandra this month is because her prompts are so unusual. Take today’s, “suicide.” I wonder what it is that makes someone so depressed that they would consider taking their own life? It is sad.

At first I didn’t think that there was anyone close to me that had committed suicide but then I remembered that I had an uncle who did. I was young and the family didn’t talk about it much but when I tried to Google his death, I searched for my aunt at the same time to see if I could get some information that way and I found that she was buried with her mother and father, my grandparents. That means I was right about the suicide because I’m pretty sure in this Italian Catholic family they would have been buried together as they were still married at the time of his death.

I do remember that he had a candy factory and when we would visit my aunt we’d always get a box of “pokies” to take home. They were candy coated dots like M & Ms. Sears used to sell them in their stores. Man, what memories!

See what I mean? Pretty unusual topics. Thanks Sandra!



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2022/02/03/featured-in-february-2022-2/

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    I wanted to comment on this subject because suicide touches so many families. I'm sorry you have a painful memory of your uncle leaving the world by his own hand. It's ironic that he had the seemingly cheery occupation of running a candy factory. I had a second cousin who hanged herself in her home, and a close friend of our family, a member of the police department, committed suicide when I was in my early teens. Our family had vacationed with his in the mountains on several occasions. I recall him having a terrific sense of humor, the kind of person you would least expect had so much inner turmoil that it became unbearable.

    Yessum, those colorful candies look like M & Ms. I never heard of Pokies. As you know from following Shady's Place, I grew up in Central PA not far from the Hershey chocolate factory. I once toured the plant on a motorized people carrier that took you through various sections of the facility showing every step in the creation of Hershey Kisses. My family always called them "Hershey Buds." I might add that, as a teenager, I worked one summer in a potato chip factory. Employees were allowed to eat as much product as we wanted during our shifts. This included regular potato chips, barbecue waffle chips, cheese twists, popcorn and caramel corn, all fresh and hot right from the conveyor belt! Can you imagine such a job? In those days, I could eat all the junk I wanted and never gain an ounce. I just gained 5 pounds writing about it. :)

    I hope Benny's sore tail is getting better so that he can stop gnawing at it. Have a wonderful Friday and a safe and happy weekend, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi my friend. I realize now that I probably should have put a trigger warning on the post. I may go back and add that. It is interesting that much of the time it is not visible to others how deeply troubled people are.

      How fun to tour the chocolate factory! Must have felt like Charlie :) I gained 5 pounds reading about your chip free for all.

      Benny's tail is doing better. Have a great weekend. I'll be over to check your place in a bit.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!