Search This Blog

Sunday, December 6, 2020

Decidedly December – 2020

So I missed posting yesterday because we went and got our Christmas tree. Making it up by cramming in a whole bunch of stuff today.

Music was the theme for Countdown to Christmas and List was #SoCS so here’s a list of some of my favorite Christmas songs in no particular order and by no means complete:

  • Old Toy Trains – Rafi – makes me cry because I can see our kids up on stage singing it when they were little.
  • Merry Christmas from the Family – Rosie O’Donnell and the Dixie Chicks (now the politically correct just “Chicks”) Cracks me up.
  • Little Drummer Boy – David Bowie and Bing Crosby
  • Jingle Bell Rock –
  • Santa Baby –
  • Silver Bells
  • The Christmas Song
  • Christmas Through Your Eyes – Gloria Estefan
  • Must Be Santa – Rafi
  • The First Noel
  • Greensleeves

The prompt for December Reflections was: Biggest lesson from 2020. Maybe not a lesson but just a reminder that nothing in life is certain and you need to be able to roll with the changes.

Today’s prompt for the Christmas Countdown is plants. Has to be poinsettia (which I always want to spell with a t, like pointsetta). My dad had a big poinsettia plant growing in our front yard. He was so proud of that thing. He worked for a florist and every year we would take about 15 or 20 poinsettia plants to the church to decorate the altar. I felt so special being able to go into the back rooms that no one usually sees.

And finally, December Reflections is Ornament. I did that the other day with the ornaments that I have been using for the past 40 years, but I also have other ones that mean a lot to me. I haven’t finished decorating the tree yet so I’ll post more pictures of ornaments when we get them out.

There, caught up for now. How about you? Favorite Christmas song? Do you want to spell poinsettia with a t? Share!



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.wordpress.com/2020/12/06/decidedly-december-2020-4/

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    From your list of favorite Christmas songs I picked three that I really like: "Silver Bells," "The Christmas Song" and "The First Noel." I tend to like reverent, subdued, religious songs more so than secular songs, especially secular songs about love and romance. I get enough of that theme the rest of the year. During the holidays I want to think of a higher love.

    Yessum, 2020 has been a year that required all of us to adapt to a strange new world and roll with it. Speaking of adaptability, I constantly make the mistake of declaring to myself or others that I absolutely do not like something only to find an exception to the rule. That happened this past week when I reported to a friend that I dislike Christmas music with a rock arrangement. (In fact, I think I just hinted at that in this comment.) At the time, I explained that rock holiday music is too jarring and breaks the serene spell I fall under at this time of year. Two days later I came upon a hard rock arrangement of an early 20th century Christmas carol that knocked my socks off (the mantel). I don't want to reveal which song it is because I immediately embedded it in an upcoming post and would like it to be a surprise.

    Thanks for showing us a picture of your dad and telling how every year at this time he decorated the church altar with brightly colored poinsettia plants. That was a beautiful gesture.

    I can sense your spirit and excitement having found this year's Christmas tree. Surely your joy will snowball as you decorate it. I hope you post a pic when it's completed.

    Have a wonderful week, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi my friend. Thanks so much for stopping by. I tend to agree with you about the subdued Christmas songs. You notice that "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" is not on my top 10.

      I miss my dad the most during the holidays. He really liked to decorate the outside of the house (or at least he did it for my mom, not sure which). I do feel a little more of the spirit this year. Maybe because it has been so blah the rest of the year. I most certainly will post a picture when the tree is complete.

      Looking forward to catching your new found Christmas song. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!