Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

A to Z Challenge - 2019 - O is for Overlay and Owls

Koala's have always been my favorite animal and I have pictures or statues of them all over the house.  Lately though I've been drawn to owls.  Maybe I'm looking for their wisdom.  Anyway, at the recent Stamp and Scrapbook Expo I found these kits with some really cute owl overlays.  Overlays are clear acetate pages with pictures or words printed on them.  You lay them over papers to get different effects.



The kits come with two sheets of overlays with three designs on each so I have 24 cards I can make.  They also come with two sheets of adhesive glitter paper.  This is clear glitter paper but you can get it in a variety of colors depending on your project.   



One of the packs has black frames and some outline stickers that are multicolored.



 The first step is to cut apart the pictures.


Then you carefully stick the glitter paper on the back.  You have to go slow so there are no bubbles.   For the first one I decided to make a sympathy card so this is what I put together:



 I stamped a sentiment on a smaller card and adhered it to the inside.



Here is the finished first card.  I used some of the colored stickers on the envelope and chalked the edges of the front of the card black.  I thought it came out really well.  This is the first time I have worked with these kits and they are pretty easy to use.  Other than tips about how to put the glitter paper on the back there are no "directions" with the kits so you can do whatever you want with the pieces.  They give you a lot too so I know I'll have some extras.



The second kit had some cute owls cuddling so I decided to use them to make a wedding card.  The frames on this set were white instead of black.  I did the same procedure with adhering the sparkle paper behind the picture and then framed it and put it on the front of the card. 



 I decorated the corners of the front with these stickers and used some glittery pen to color them in.



I used some chalk ink to go around the edges to give it a little pop of color and a more finished look.



For the inside I used a tag and stamped another sentiment on it.



Here is the second finished card.  I used some washi tape on the envelope.  I'm pretty happy with this one too. 


These are the first things (except for the Sketchbook) that I have made since I moved all my craft supplies into the new studio.  It was such a joy to have the space and to be able to get to things easily.  I still have some stuff to move around and the more I work in it I may find that some things need to go in a different spot but for the most part it is working out great!   I have this wise owl as a mascot that I am going to put outside once we get to the yard decorating part of this adventure.  I do also have these cute owl curtains.  



But just so the Koalas don't think I've forgotten them, these two have prominent spots in the studio as well!



Another letter down!  This year the A to Z 10th Anniversary Challenge has been going very smoothly.  One year I didn't finish all the letters in time and had to go back to add them.  I don't think I'm going to have that problem this year, thank goodness.  Hope you liked these behind the scenes examples.  Come back tomorrow for the letter "P."



#AtoZChallenge 2019 Tenth Anniversary blogging from A to Z challenge letter

14 comments:

  1. Owls seem to be making an appearance on many folks radar these day. You've got a fun collection of them - love those curtains!

    How wonderful your new studio space is working out so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so very happy with it. Things are just seeming to fall together so nicely. Maybe it's the owls.

      Delete
  2. Ooooo! I really like the overlay with glitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trudy! It was easier than I thought it might be.

      Delete
  3. Very creative! off late I am also very fond of owls.
    Your cards look so professional. Loved what you have made.
    I like the owl with specs - its very cute!!

    Opportunity Cost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kislaya. Owls just seemed to start popping up everywhere for some reason.

      Delete
  4. Oooohhh, glitter paper! (Heart-shaped eyes here) I may have been a magpie in a former life.

    Unfortunately I have to write a condolence card today. Or maybe I'll be a cowardly procrastinator and do it tomorrow. A cousin of my Dad's passed away. On a "positive" note he doesn't have to suffer anymore. He had some sort of an aggressive cancer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about that. I have had to use some of my cards for those things too. At least I have them handy!

      Delete
  5. There is a scrapbook expo?! I could get lost in there... O.o

    The Multicolored Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG no kidding. My niece and I spend a day wandering up and down the aisles. Hint: Come back for the letter "X" :)

      Delete
  6. All these techniques are new to me since I don't do anything like this, period. I'm enjoying seeing how such lovely cards come to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. Card making and crafting is not for everyone. It can be expensive and time consuming but you know when you are doing something you love it doesn't seem that way.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!