Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

July-Jinks - 2018 Time to Travel!

My hubby's mom and brother live in Oregon and today is her 93rd birthday so we've come up to spend some time with them.  We don't travel much and fly even less so every time we do I consider it an adventure.  I am a patient person by nature so waiting doesn't bother me.  I people watch or read and do not get overly stressed.  I know that Tuesdays are generally slower travel days and the fares are lower so yesterday was fly day. 

We were lucky enough to get Pre-TSA on our boarding pass so we didn't have to take off our shoes or take our laptops out of our bags.  My husband has had two stents in his legs and he carries a card that explains foreign material showing up on the screens.  I put all my stuff on the conveyor belt and walked through the metal detector and what do you know if a buzzer didn't sound!  The TSA agent said that I had been picked for a "random" screening and asked me to wait off to the side.  My husband went through with no problems. 

I stepped off to a little waiting area and was expecting to have to have a pat down search or something like that, which didn't bother me.  As I said, it's all an adventure.  Soon another agent came and asked me to get my cellphone and go with him.  Just my cellphone, which was in my purse and had gone through on the conveyor belt.  He took my cellphone but didn't ask me for passwords or even turn it on, just held it near a machine which spit out a tiny strip of paper.  Then he handed me back my phone and told me I was okay and could proceed, which we did. 

Thinking about it now, I'm sorry I didn't ask any questions!  What were they checking for?  How did they check it?  Why just my cellphone and not my laptop?  Was there something that had triggered this "random" search or was it truly random?  Did I look like a suspicious person?  Have they put some kind of tracking device in my phone?  Instead, I asked nothing.  We collected our belongings and went on toward our gate. 

We were early so we stopped and had a pre-flight cocktail, as you do.  Since it was morning, mine was a mimosa and the hubs had a bloody Mary.

We went to our gate and after waiting there for about half an hour we were informed that the gate had changed to another one that was on the other side of the terminal!  That didn't make my husband very happy.  After waiting another half an hour, we were finally able to board.

Goodbye San Francisco

We had to have some sustenance since we were thirsty after waiting so long to board.

Flying through the air

Beautiful scenery in this part of the country.


So here we are for a week.  I'm sure I'll have more adventures to tell and more pictures to share.  Have you ever been "randomly" selected?  Do you know what they did with my phone?  


  1. I've been selected but I don't think it was random. I had to have a pat down because they suspected there was something on my person. I was annoyed. They asked me if I wanted a private room. I said "just do it"! Then they had to check my baby powder container. NOW 2 years later, they tell us baby powder is suspect. I would have left it at the hotel if I'd known. I really don't mind the strict rules. It keeps us safer. But I think I caught was a practice session. The airport was almost empty.

    1. Yes, I thought that was what they were going to do too but it was a male agent who came over and I'm pretty sure they would have sent a woman to do that.

  2. I just got back from my month long road trip. Thankfully I didn't have to fly. I'm not much of a fan of flying. You handled it all well. Have fun on the rest of your vacation.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    1. Thanks Arlee. It was a fun trip for the most part. It is sad to see my mother-in-law slowing down so much. I'm glad we got to spend some time with her.


I'd love to hear your thoughts!