Search This Blog

Thursday, January 27, 2022

Just Jot January – 2022

So I haven’t been exactly following all the prompts in the #JustJoJan series this year. I hope you are understanding. (Thanks Kim).

I am choosing to write about the vision cards I made for this year. My main themes are the same as last year but I’ve used some different wording and the pictures are different.

I really love putting together these cards and going through the magazines and pulling the pictures that speak to me about each area. On the back I have written some of the things I’d like to accomplish this year and by doing so it gives me some direction but also takes the pressure off around the whole “resolutions” thing that happens every January. If I make a list of 5 or 10 things on each card and I get 3 or more done then I consider it a win. When I look at them again in June as I do, if there are some areas that have not gotten as much attention, I know what to focus on for the next six months.

Some folks have more focus areas but I think these about cover most of my everyday life so that’s what I’ve been using. I think I’ve been making these for almost 10 years now and I first got the idea from Jamie Ridler, who is a really great guide for helping you get in touch with yourself and what you want to make with your life. She is also the creator of the Studio Yearbook that I use each season. We are in the Winter one now and it is very helpful for transitioning from one year to the next.

Obviously I am not a great artist, but having the “image” section nudges me to give it a shot. Looking at that, I can clearly remember the night I watched “The Birds” in the studio while I was creating. Similarly, I don’t fill in every box every day, sometimes just choosing a picture like the one of our family Christmas to show what was happening on that day. Still can’t believe that less than a month after that picture was taken mom is gone. Yet I clearly remember that this was the best picture that we took that day because my son said something that made us all smile. Can’t even remember what it was now but we definitely all look happy. Around the circle in the “You” page I wrote a bunch of questions that start with “Tell me why…” like, Tell me why not? Tell me why it’s hard? Tell me why you don’t? Tell me why you feel it.” Etc. I know that kind of stuff is not for everyone but I think it helps me remain grounded and purposeful with the things that I do. We only have one life and I’d like to live the best one I can.

How about you guys? Do you think something like vision cards are easier than making resolutions? Like to collage and play with crayons? Think it’s all a bunch of hokey? Tell me why!



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.com/2022/01/27/just-jot-january-2022-11/

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    I always enjoy viewing your Vision Cards. Your cards for 2022 are pleasing to the eye and empowering to you. It doesn't matter what others think of your ideas and methods. If they work for you, then use them. THe topics you chose for your Vision Cards are all important to a satisfying life. Get and stay organized. This includes setting up your studio in a manner that inspires creativity. Stay calm and maintain good health. Explore your world starting right there in the Bay Area which is rich in culture, natural beauty and historic places. I think it is wise not to have dozens of categories of Vision Cards and hundreds of items on your list of intended accomplishments, lest you feel overwhelmed and abandon them all. By keeping the number down to a reasonable level, it is easier to stay focused and say to yourself "I can do this." It's also a great idea to review at the midpoint of the year the goals you set in January and give special attention to the ones you have neglected. I agree with the various quotes referring to abundance. You don't need money to experience an abundant life. Always come from gratitude and abundance rather than scarcity.

    Yessum, my eyes were drawn to that picture of your family celebrating Christmas. Everyone was happy and smiling. Be thankful for that blessed moment, one of the best examples I can think of to illustrate the power of reframing the bitterness of a terrible loss into a feeling of gratitude for the golden memories you will have the rest of your life of your mother's visit over the holidays.

    I wish you a safe and happy weekend, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words my friend. I always enjoy reading your comments. They certainly lift my spirits. You caught the essence of each one of my visions exactly. Have a great rest of your week dear Shady.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Janet - I believe that your vision cards are brilliant. As you have been successfully inspired by them for almost 10 years now, the proof is in the pudding! :D Abundance is a great WOTY. I look forward to following further to see where this focus leads you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna! I find that I don't even realize how closely I am following with my goals until I look back over the months and see what I've been doing.

      Delete
  3. The vision cards clearly work for you so keep on with that. The journal book looks great too but my creative skills are really not my strong point. Give me a guide to follow, step by step instructions, templates etc and I will probably do ok. Ask me to use my imagination to create a project? Not happening lol But then I like Maths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We each have our own niche's and that's what makes the world interesting, in my opinion! Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!