Search This Blog

Monday, January 4, 2021

#JustJoJan – 2021 – Fingertips – Vision Cards

Since 2014 I’ve been making vision cards instead of New Year’s resolutions. I find that resolutions are easy to let slip by and are usually not very sustainable for a long period of time. Plus, once you “break” a resolution, your year is shot. Vision cards are a lot more forgiving and I really have been able to accomplish many more things, I think, by keeping these cards at my fingertips throughout the year. I file them in the back of my planner and look at them periodically, although somehow they always seem to flow through my subconscious.

I made six again this year, same themes but I called them different names. Maybe a little quirky but it works for me. You can see last year’s here. This year’s in no particular order:

I call this one “Nest” but it really means our home. As you can see I have my fire pit on it but also a new couch. I love the look of the home by the sea and although we are not moving any time soon, I should be able to make our house feel comfortable again. A deep clean and some more purging and organizing will do wonders I’m sure. Hubby said I could have the fire pit (my Christmas present) but wants me to go with him to pick it out. Sure thing!

I have Self-Care as a topic instead of just “Health.” I am coming to realize that things like meditation and long walks by the ocean (when we can go back there) are just as important as healthy eating and exercise. Even something simple like taking a day to just read a book, something I hardly ever do. Plus, although I lost 75 pounds, I did put back about 5 or 6 of them and reached a plateau. Time to step up the game a bit. Longer walks with Benny and some ankle weights to start. Maybe adding some dancing.

I’m going with Experience again this year. With the pandemic shutting everything down, who knows when we’ll be able to actually go on an adventure! When we do, local ones like a ferry to see Alcatraz Island or a helicopter ride over the SF Bay would be fun and close to home. I’d still like to get to Carmel and Monterey so maybe we can take a drive down there some weekend. In the meantime, I am taking longer walks with Benny and snapping pictures of new and interesting things I see. Wonder if it okay to walk the Golden Gate Bridge? We did it for my 60th birthday and I’d like to do it again.

Prosperity means finances. I know there are ways we can cut corners and save, although we do need to get the hubby a new truck so that will be the major expense this year. He really needs one so we’ll make it work. Getting credit card debt down is important too. We are not getting any younger!

This one is Sharing. With the pandemic and it’s ups and downs, seeing people is harder and harder to do, even our own daughter who lives an hour away. Using Zoom and FaceTime are not perfect but at least a text or phone call to my mom, my sister, niece and friends once in a while is better than nothing. Hopefully it won’t be long until we can have a dinner at least.

And finally is the Business of Magic. You would think that with all the restrictions and inability to go places I would have a lot of time to work in my studio. It is not as easy as all that and I have to figure out some new ways of promoting what I have to sell since I am not sure when we will be able to hold craft fairs again. Using YouTube, making my own website and adding videos to the Etsy site are all things I have swirling around in my head. I’m a Creative Memories consultant too and I rarely ever promote that. Need to use my talents!

So there you have my vision cards. I’ve written some basics on the backs of them and will slip them in my planner now. I’ll check in again in June or July and see what’s been happening. Thanks to Linda for her #JusJoJan prompt of “fingertips.”



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.wordpress.com/2021/01/04/justjojan-2021-fingertips-vision-cards/

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    I admire this year's crop of vision cards and agree they are a better idea than hollow NY resolutions. First I clicked back to your old WP post for a look at last year's cards, then I examined these. Mrs. Shady and I recently did some cleaning and reorganizing of our nest. It works wonders for your mood when you pick up clutter, find a place to store things, create more space and are able to spend quality quaran-time in a cleaner and fresher smelling environment.

    "Self-care" is the term many people have adopted in the last couple of years.
    The mind and body are closely connected and we need to take care of both.
    Breaking old patterns gives you a sense of power and control and spurs you on to goal achievement. Hopefully this year you will be able to take longer walks with Benny w/o having to breath harsh smoke from wildfires.

    If I lived in the your Bay Area instead of my Bay Area I'd love to take that ferry tour of Alcatraz Island and walk the GG Bridge. When you walked the span at age 60 did you go all the way across to the other side? How long did it take?

    Yessum, we might need to keep communicating remotely via electronics this year until we get this pandemic thing sorted out, given that new strains are evolving and threatening us. Reaching out to a friend or loved one occasionally for no particular reason other than to say hello and ask how they are doing is a win-win gesture. Mrs. Shady is always complaining that the only reason her family members ever contact her is because they need to borrow money or need her to write them a prescription (or both). One of Mrs. S's sisters used to call me once a week just to say hello, ask how I'm doing, chat a bit and share a few encouraging words. That meant the world to me. She died several years ago and I miss her.

    I also admire you for having the vision to brainstorm and find creative new ways to build your business. I wish you success in turning all of these dreams and visions into reality in 2021.

    Enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi friend! I forgot to check the site after I did the simulcast to adjust the picture sizes. Sorry about that! We made a morning of the bridge walk, starting in the parking lot with a mimosa! We did walk all the way to the other side and back and it took about two hours, but we had my mom (who was 90 at the time!) with us so we walked at a reasonable pace. There were actually 10 of us, as some friends came along to celebrate my birthday. It was a fun day.

      I don't know why it took me so long to realize that the mind is just as important as the body when it comes to health. I've been listening to some meditations as I walk Benny. I'm using that poor dog for a lot of my own pleasure!

      Crossing fingers that we can get over the craziness that is the "United"States in the next few days and start building things back up again. As always, a pleasure seeing you here dear Shady!

      Delete
  2. Some great themes there Janet and your vision cards are a great idea. I agree that it's hard to forward plan with the way things are at the moment but it's still good to try. good luck with your plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! I think it just gives me another excuse to play with paper and glue - LOL>

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of vision cards! Self-care is so very important right now. Maybe you could make a list of the all the TV shows and movies that are set in SF? (Monk, Full House, Big Hero 6 ~ though that's sort of alternative SF...) You know, to tide you over until it's safe to be a tourist again. Maybe for your A to Z Challenge?

    I hope your New Year is going well. I only read and reviewed 23 books last year, but my goal for this year is 30. My other goals are to publish another fiction book in 2021, do the Blogging from A to Z Challenge in April, and increase the number of authors helped by Operation Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks J. Good idea about the TV shows and movies from SF. I may have to look into that! I sadly only read half of my goal of 40 books for last year but I'm going to give it a shot again this year. Looking forward to the A to Z! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. I love your vision cards, Janet. They are very inspiring. I look forward to reading a later review to see how they helped to guide you.
    Wishing you a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet you will, Donna! I can count on the vision cards for at least three posts a year - LOL.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!